Merry Ethiopian Christmas! We are so happy to be a family with strong ties to such a wonderful people, culture and country. Since last year was such an "off" year for us we really have tried to take advantage of the past 6 months and enjoy the fact that (despite being pregnant again) I feel good. Unfortunately my immune system is shot and despite no preschool, daycare or outside job the kids and I have been hit hard by sickness after sickness this fall and winter. Luckily, we all got better just in time to fully enjoy the company of our family and friends to celebrate January 7th!
I also had a smattering of American food, Mexican food, and a little Thai food for good measure. We had Ethiopian beer, Tej (honey wine), and Chai (tea that I served iced, spiced and honeyed as we have had in the past).
Israel demonstrated how to use the injera properly and eat off the community plate.
I made cupcakes and tried to make them look like the Ethiopian flag (my blue sprinkles weren't as prominent as I would have liked but it was recognizable at least).
Brian served a coffee ceremony. We didn't roast our own beans over a charcoal fire in our house so it wasn't super authentic but the taste and service style were authentic. Of course we had sweet popcorn with it as well as Kolo which was a HUGE hit.
3 comments:
Looks like fun was had by all!!!
Can't believe how fast the babies are getting!!
Melkam Genna!
WOW You are officially super Mom. That spread looks AMAZING! And your babies are so happy and sweet! Good job, Mama!
I hope this year proves to be the best one so far! :)
WOW!!! You did a fantastic job and I am so impressed. We celebrated too but at a friends which meant no cooking for us. Loved all your photos!
Post a Comment