Well today is a day that is inevitable, yet one I am not quite ready for. My baby is officially no longer a baby but a big boy. Today Elias turns 1! My minds reflects over the past 6 months together. They have been far more wonderful than I ever imagined. It takes me back to this very day 1 year ago - how much I longed for a child, ached to see my son's face, how ignorant I was at the time the lifelong importance this date would hold. And now, one year later this day, July 22nd is the day we celebrate our son's birth!
God is so good to us. It is on this day that my heart reflects how wonderful life is. There is little greater in life than experiencing the promise of new life. Elias embodies answered prayers, hope, joy, abounding blessing. It is through him that fervent prayers were answered, the cries and desires of my heart fulfilled. I am certain no one's heart could be fuller than mine, as it overflows with love and pride for Elias Besufikad.
With a pang of sorrow I see so clearly Fikrte's face. Those big brown eyes with pools of water welling up in them and big fast tears sliding down her cheeks. This day is filled with joy for me. How is she feeling today? I imagine her feelings are mixed. She is probably sad on this day knowing she doesn't get to spend it with Besu. Maybe she thinks of me, like I do of her, and hopefully her heart is touched with a pang of hope and joy as she imagines his future with us. I can't pretend to know the fullness of her heart today, just as I don't think anyone can imagine mine.
At 12 months old Elias' personality is really shining. He is fun, playful, energetic, and snuggly. He still has 4 teeth but two more are very close to popping through. The thing he hates most (well besides the general not getting his way :) ) are diaper changes. Usually he cries unless I find a toy or person to distract him. No matter how stinky or wet he may be he prefers this to being changed.
Elias' walking is progressing really well. He can now walk slow with a fairly high degree of balance. In the past month the steps have progressed from walking in between objects or people to just taking off walking with no destination in mind.
Elias' vocabulary is also progressing. At 12 months old he has 6 consistent words. He says Da Da and Ma Ma (also Dud and Mum) with what I feel is a degree of recognition (meaning he no longer calls me Da Da although it remains his favorite babble word). When he hears Brian's voice over the speakerphone or walks to him he says Da Da and when he wants me he will say Ma Ma (usually this word comes with tears of hunger or sleepiness as these are the times he most often wants my attention over Brian's. Elias also says woah (voah), up (ub), hi (ha) and most recently, no. I consciously try to use the words gentle or don't touch but in some circumstances those aren't applicable. The other night Elias was being a real pill and screaming everytime Israel would come near him in the hot tub. Israel was doing nothing to bother him but Elias would not stop the tantrums. I looked at him and said, "Elias, no, no, no." He looked right back up and me and repeated, "no, no, no." I was horrified my nearly one year old was already talking back but it did give the whole family a good laugh.
Elias' tendency to bite (meaning Israel) has drastically gone down. Much to my amazement and joy he has not yet experienced the world of hitting. I dread the day he starts doing that. I would also say that his tantrums have decreased although they have not ceased and I don't really expect them to until I feel he can understand some type of discipline. We try to ignore the behavior which has proven helpful in shortening the tantrums. Sometimes I feel like he gets frustrated thinking I don't know what he wants when really I understand and he just can't have it (like reaching for the candy in the store).
12 things we LOVE about Elias
1. Your soft, silky skin
2. The way your face lights up in a smile when your stuffed animals give you kisses
3. How you find security in me (Ma ma) - early each morning he crawls in bed with me, climbs up onto me and with one fist grabs my hair and the other my necklace, then he falls back to sleep.
4. How you wake me (Ma ma) with LOTS of baby kisses to let me know you are ready to get out of bed and go play.
5. How you hold your arms high in the air and sway them like a monkey when you walk.
6. How much you enjoy playing outside in the water.
7. How you look at me (Da da) and know I'm your Da da.
8. Cuddling with you on Saturday mornings
9. Sleeping in my (Da da) arms
10. When I am holding you (Ma ma) and someone comes close you will reach for them. When they reach to take you from me you change your mind, withdrawing your reach and turning away from them into me. I call you a tease for doing this - but love it!
11. The way you make us laugh when you do your hip thrust dance in the car seat.
12. The way you look in a bandana.
...and because we couldn't agree on just 12...
13. The way you pant for food you love, or think you love (even if you've never tried it) just because someone else has it.
7 comments:
The one year birthday.....I was a wreck that day. Crying for my baby's Ethiopian mother, yet so thankful she is in my life.
Your little man is truly a doll!
Michelle
www.mfamilyblog.blogspot.com
Happy Birthday Elias!!!!
Happy Birthday Elias Besu. Autumn thanks for the suggestion i'm off to helmet shop this weekend haha...Yeah right I can't even get this boy to wear a hat I think he's afraid to mess up his curls.
Autumn,
Thinking of you on Elias' big day. Elyse just celebrated her first birthday also and it was such a special day.
God bless,
Sunday
Happy Birthday Baby Boo!
happy birthday elias!
Happy Birthday Elias!! Wow - a year already?! Oh man.. time flies. I'm scared I'm going to be there before we know it.
P.S. thanks for the prayers today. :)
Post a Comment