
On May 7th, Besufikad Brian Gossett legally became Elias Besufikad Gossett. We finalized Elias' adoption on the U.S. side of things in San Diego Juvenile Courts. Elias is now officially a U.S. Citizen. The court hearing literally could have taken 15 seconds but the judge was really nice and drew it out to a whopping 7 minute long ceremony. This was after we waited in the lobby area for over 45 minutes. At least we all had a good time in the lobby.




The entire adoption process I was confused about the readoption process. Every time I asked questions about it they were dismissed by saying we'll talk more about it once we get there. I still don't really understand it all BUT what I do know is that thanks to the great state of California this was by far the EASIEST (and cheapest) part of our entire adoption process. I filled out 5 forms all basically asking me the same easy questions. We had our first post placement visit. I over-paid (I mean...paid) our homestudy agency to complete 3 forms for me. I took all of the above to the juvenile courts, filed them with a really nice lady, paid $20, signed a couple things, showed her a couple things, and was booked a court date 1 month later.

When we walked in the court room it was not at all what I pictured. We sat at this long table and the judge was on the other side. It was nothing like the t.v. court room I had been picturing. I thought she would have introduced herself but she didn't. Instead she asked us if we were Brian, Autumn and Elias. We said yes. She then told us the first order of business was to let Elias pick his hand stamp.

At this time I am thinking, "Cute, but are you serious?" She pulls out her stamp collection and lays them in front of Elias. He grabs Tigger and it goes straight to the mouth.

2 of our 7 minutes were spent by her walking around stamping Tigger on everyone's hand.



We brought a bunch of family with us and I believe there were 13 hands to stamp. At one point I turned around because I heard a bunch of laughing. Apparently when it was Almeu and Israel's turn to get their hands stamped Dad tried to explain who Tigger was. He said, "you know, Tigger, from Pooh." They asked the obvious question, "Like poop?!?" Um, no. I didn't hear it because I was a bit distracted but they don't exactly have court room volume as a vocal level. Everything is said very LOUD. Next we signed the 2 documents (adoption papers!) I had previously filed.


Then we were told the adoption was FINAL!!!!!

The judge, whose name I still did not know asked if we wanted a picture at the bench. Of course! So we walked the 3 feet to the bench and had our photo op.

For some reason I felt like I had to keep saying something because it all seemed like so much of nothing and there was a lot of awkward silence...I must have said "thank you" to the judge 10 times in those 7 minutes and really she didn't do much of anything. She probably thought I was nuts. Oh well.
Thank you family for once again being supportive and present. We are so happy you could all share with us in this special day to celebrate Elias and welcome him as an official part of the family.
7 comments:
Oh I'm so glad it was easy for you. Our readoption was probably harder than the dossier--no joke it was a NIGHTMARE and took us over 5 months to complete. San Diego must be way more organized and efficient!! :)
I feel the same way you did about the readoption part. I am so cunfused but told not to worry about it. I just thought if I could prepare myself. Glad I'm not the only one.
yay! How nice to have come FULL circle...you've completed the process! It seems like that day will never come!
Woo Hoo! Congrats.
Congrats on your re-adoption!
Okay...so I get to the part about going to Balboa Park...and I get so excited!! It has been YEARS (I won't say how long), but I went to Balboa Park as a kid! sigh. Good memories!
Blessings,
Jenn
I thought I commented. hmm. my bad :) so happy you got right on that paperwork. I have to do bellas and tatiana at once. Could your lil man get any cuter ? seriously. he is so cute you could eat him!! hey any new drama with "s" ??? .
Congratulations! What a happy day! Amber, yes, we're down in SD relatively often (at least every few months). We'd love to get together! Let me know!
Post a Comment