Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Great News!

Taken from my private blog:

This morning as Dr. Mason walked into the office he said, "The scans were negative. You are in complete remission."

I think Brian and I both let out a big sigh of relief as we both had been holding our breath. I am so glad there wasn't any beating around the bush. We experienced enough suspense over the past 8 months. It was exactly 8 months ago today that I was diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma. In that time I have undergone chemotherapy treatment, had a beautiful baby girl and been hospitalized. I have had moments where I feel great and times that I can't get out of bed. Now I can look back at all of this and view it in the past tense. It's over. In 8 months I went from perfectly healthy to cancer patient and now to cancer survivor.

Wow. What a ride it was. There have been low points and high points all along the way. I certainly don't want to do it again, but I can't say I would trade the experience either. The past 8 months included the birth of our daughter. Although that didn't go how I would have planned, giving birth was an incredible experience and one I am so thrilled to have had. God didn't have to give me that opportunity but he chose to bless me in that way and for that I will always be thankful.

After we got the results and I finished hugging Dr. Mason we walked out to chat with everybody. Scripps has been such a wonderful place to work with. It is a very intimate environment and I pretty much know everyone on the floor by name. Those I don't know still know exactly who I am. We took both the kids and although it wasn't our first choice I am so glad they came. Showing them off to everyone was a perfect way to end this chapter. Everyone there has been so invested in our lives and in our family. Isla is lovingly referred to as our "ABVD miracle baby!" She got passed around this morning from person to person. Meanwhile Elias blew kisses to everyone and had them all smitten by the time we left.

All of the fellows had a hard time saying goodbye as they probably won't be there anymore by the next time I go in. Dr. M asked if she could leave the Navy and come be my nanny and then wanted a run down of the Ethiopian adoption process. Dr. S called me "hard core" after I told them all we plan on adopting again and that I've just been waiting for the words "in remission" to start the 6 month countdown to begin the process. He gave me his personal e-mail so I could keep him up to date on our family and when talking to Isla referred to himself as "Uncle Ethan." Dr. V in his quirky way said he would miss us. When I thanked Dr. Mason for all he has done he turned around and thanked me - not what I was expecting. To these doctors though I represent a challenge and a personal investment of time, energy and knowledge.

I hope that at the end of all this I leave someone inspired or hopeful. I might never know if this piece of my life or the way I handled this trial has made a positive difference in someone's life but I sure hope so. I worked hard to keep a positive attitude and made a conscious effort to always let those I was talking to know that I was taking what God was giving me and trying to make the best of it.

Although I am considered in full remission, I am not considered cured until I have been in remission for five years. Over the next five years I will be seen by the oncologist for a physical exam and blood work every 3 months and have a scan every 6 months.

We don't know what the future holds for us. Someday we would like to adopt again. Someday we would like to live overseas. For now we will just focus on enjoying the life and relationships God has given us.

I think it is only fitting to retire this blog today! Therefore, this will be my final post. Thank you all for your concern and prayers. Your words of encouragement have been a huge blessing to Brian and I...I will be sure to keep them all as a reminder of all the love and support we have had through this process. I will try to start back up with the family blog http://gossettadoption.blogspot.com

Love to you all,
Autumn

15 comments:

Renee said...

Oh Autumn I can't tell you how happy I was to read this post today. Can't wait to see you back on this blog and hear more about your day to day with your beautiful children.

Tidepool said...

Congrats Autumn, Brian, Elias and Isla! I am so happy for you!

The B Family said...

Praise the Lord! Wonderful news and beautifully-written post.

AprilM said...

YAY!!! Congrats!!!! Praise Be To God!!!!

theheartofachild said...

Praise God! I have prayed for you as the Lord brought you to mind and am just so thankful for your healing and healthy daughter!!!
Rejoicing with you,
Jenny

The Redman's said...

Amazing, Autumn!!! Congratulations and God Bless!!!!

-suzi

JonesEthiopia said...

So very happy for you all. What a relief!

Aubrey said...

I have been hoping and praying to see a post like this for a long time. I'm so happy for all of you!

Matt said...

Wonderful news!

Leanne said...

Thank God! He is GOOD!

missy said...

i love this post with all my heart. what joyous news! you have left ALOT of people inspired and hopeful, you hard core, beautiful, cancer survivor!

Eryn said...

What wonderful news Autumn! Congrats on entering a new, cancer free chapter of life! Eryn

Mama Mimi said...

Glory be to God!!! That is INCREDIBLE news! Congrats! I look forward to hearing more about this journey and the starting of a new adoptin journey, yay!!!

Leah said...

Wonderful news!!! Congrats on being in remission! It is obvious that you have been a positive force on everyone around you!

Jana said...

Praise Jesus! Wow, what a journey you have been through. As I have watched and read, I have realized you are one of the strongest most determined and mature people I know. You held on tight to your faith and I admire that.
Got your sweet note in the mail...looking forward to seeing you guys soon maybe. We are talking about coming to SD at the end of summer.