We have been asked this question a number of times now and since I have no problem answering it I figured I will share the answer with all of you in case you were wondering too. When we were first discussing adoption the very first question we asked ourselves was domestic or international? We came to our decision through generalizations. Now as a global studies student I have learned not to generalize about countries/people groups/cultures, etc. but that is exactly what I am going to do right now so please forgive me.
Are there problems with the U.S. foster care system? Yes. Does any child deserve a Mom and Dad any more than another? Absolutely not. Do we commend and encourage domestic adoption? No question. Here's where I hope not to offend anyone. Generally speaking, orphans in the U.S. are better off than orphans in an underdeveloped country. We know the system has problems, we know there are horror stories, and we wish we could help each and every child. However, when Brian and I were discussing this question we felt called to help the worst off. In Matthew 25:40 Jesus instructs, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Of the countries Brian and I qualified to adopt from, Ethiopia is the "least of these". In Ethiopia many children struggle daily to survive. With 60% of all children (not just orphans) being malnourished, many are in some stage of starvation. Overcrowded orphanages or even no adult supervision at all are common cases in Ethiopia. We are blessed to live in America where even the poorest is better off than most in Ethiopia.
Although I truly hope I haven't offended anyone with my generalizations, this is honestly how Brian and I came to the agreement to look in to international adoption. We really wish we could make a larger impact, unfortunately at this point in our lives we can only help one.
3 comments:
Some generalizations are not bad, and if you felt led to the poorest, then so-be-it. And please, don't be afraid to offend, Jesus Himself is the great offense, the stone the builders rejected and the one we much trip over if we are to find Him. I can't wait to meet the child God has chosen for your family!
Hey... nice to meet you. This is my first time to your blog. I too am adopting with AGCI... LOVE THEM! :-)
Congrats and welcome to the journey !
Tracie in TN
Hi- Just came across your blog. Welcome to the wonderful blog world and international adoption. AGCI is WONDERFUL!!!!! Can't wait to follow your journey. We started at this exact time last year! A LOT can happen in a year!
-Suzi in WA
Post a Comment