Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Some Good Reads

Many of you may have seen a book I recommend under our Adoption Resources section. This book "There is No Me Without You" is excellent. I would suggest it to all parents adopting from Ethiopia. I would also recommend this book to anyone who is interested in learning more about Ethiopia, the AIDs crisis in Africa, and international adoption. This book tells the story of an Ethiopian woman who began an orphanage and the difficulties she faced. It also talks about the political and Biblical history of Ethiopia and the impact and specific stories of international adoption. The AIDs crisis is also discussed where the disease is explained, as well as, theories about it's origins and the spread of the disease through Africa.

So I just finished an excellent book (thank you, Nathan). It is called "There is Always Enough." This book is about the ministry of Rolland and Heidi Baker in Mozambique. It is an excellent testament of how God can work in your life if you allow Him to do so. Their ministry, which has sparked an amazing revival in this region of Africa, all began with their heart for the poor and orphaned and their obedience to God's call to start an orphanage. If you are looking for a quick, easy read to bring you some spiritual inspiration, I reccommend this book.

5 comments:

nell ann said...

Hi Autumn! I read your back-blogs and see that we already have so much in common! It's so great to meet you. : )

Thanks for following our blog and we'll be following along with yours too.

Oh, and consider yourself tagged!

C said...

I am so glad to see a couple close in our age and close in our process...maybe we will end up going to Ethiopia together ( they do this some!) We are just a little behind you, we have been emailg daily with AGCI but we are still waiting to formally send in our app. because we are waiting on a document that has to be sent with our app.
HOPE TO SATY INTOUCH!!!!

C said...

Thank you for all your advice, it really did help. We are open to asking for help and are coming up with ideas for fund raising, but at at this point anly about 6 people know that we are adopting, we arn't telling everyone until we get accepted. Another issues for us is we just moved to this down in Sept. and the church we attend is in a building fund right now, but I do think our old church will help once we have told them!!
I love the baby bottle idea!!! :)

Michael and Michelle said...

I just found your blog, nice to "meet" you. We are adopting with AGCI to Ethiopia too. This has been a great process so far! I have had tons of fun making "blog" friends! I'm excited to follow you journey!!
Michelle

Cindy said...

Good Luck in your journey! I just wanted to let you know that having any sort of fund raising on your site may not be a good idea. Recently a family had their referral taken away because they had posted pictures of the baby before court and because they were fund raising on their blog. The Ethiopian embassy seemed really displeased by the fund raising aspect. Best Wishes!!