Friday, October 9, 2009

Baby #2

Well, as it turns out baby #2 really does exist. When the nausea faded (yeah!) about 2 weeks earlier than "normal" I was a little worried. Then I started having nightmares that we went to the ultrasound and they couldn't find a heartbeat. This started happening after the appointment with my midwife when she tried and couldn't find one. Despite her telling me there would almost certainly not be anything it was still a not so fun feeling to actually not hear anything. I'm still a couple pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight despite having an appetite back for 2 weeks now and being 12 weeks along. All this to say I had my doubts and concerns.

Yesterday all those went away when we saw our baby! We saw fingers and toes, the spinal cord and umbilical cord. We heard the very strong and fast heartbeat. We saw the baby completely flip over when I coughed. We also got to see some waving and kicking. Now, after many weeks of knowing in my head I was pregnant I actually, really believe it.

Elias wasn't so thrilled with Mommy being on a table while some man messed with her belly button (which just so happens to be his favorite part of me...and everyone else). He was whiny and uncomfortable with all the new stuff.

There are times I look at him and he seems so big. In the past couple days he has decided that he will only eat if he does it 100% by himself, with utensils. When he wants a bottle he walks to the fridge and then takes his bottle and walks to the rocking chair to let me know he is ready to rock. He no longer tolerates being carried from the car to the house unless he is completely exhausted. He wants to put his own dirty dishes on the kitchen counter and throws a fit if we try to help him. At 14 months old he is an iPhone genius. His Grandma taught him to scroll through the pictures which he does brilliantly. Physically, he looks big too...he towers over kids who are older than him, and in many cases says more words than these other kiddos.

Then at other times, like yesterday when he wanted his Mommy to hold him as I was laying on the table for the ultrasound he still seems like my little baby. He stroked/played with my hair as we walked to the car. He does this when he is trying to comfort me. ***Side note: how do I know this? Because sometimes I fake cry so he will come over and play with my hair and give me kisses. I totally suck, I know. It's horrible to deceive a baby, right? But his kisses are SO worth it. They aren't the open mouth baby kisses anymore. Now they are closed lipped, still slobbery big boy kisses but they are just as good.

He's going to be such a great big brother!

12 comments:

Jenny R said...

That is so awesome! It must be a great feeling to see a baby inside you. Congratulations! Elias sounds like such a sweetheart. That's so cute how he comforts you!

Teabo Chica said...

I just read this OH MY WORD! You must just be so excited! Baby number 2 On congrats so much you two. Thats awesome awesome news.

Maria and Family said...

I love baby kisses ! little boys are the best..mine still loves on me at 10..it never gets old :) I love the ultrasound pic! Looks like another beautiful baby !

Brian and Autumn said...

This kid's got their work cut out for them in the beauty department, Maria...Elias will be hard to be. Not that I am promoting competitions about meaningless stuff like outward beauty or anything :) Just sayin'

Brian and Autumn said...

*beat*... hard to beat

Anonymous said...

Are you going to find out if it is a girl or a boy or wait for it to be a surprise? So fun to see the ultrasound!!!

missy said...

so amazing to see that little life growing inside of you. i love that you are a faker to get kisses...i say whatever it takes!

Renee said...

Autumn noah is just starting to do more closed lipped kisses..is it wrong that i still encourage him to give the sloppy open mouth ones? I miss the baby kisses and don't want my boy growing up.

Leah said...

So glad the ultrasound went well. Sounds like the family is doing great. :-D

Phronsie said...

Awww, that first time hearing and seeing the heartbeat is so reassuring! What size clothes does Elias wear now? I think when Xavi was that age he was in 18 month to 2T stuff already.

Cornwall -> Ethiopia said...

I've been so bad about checking blogs - I am SO excited for you guys and your newest addition!! That is so wonderful! I'll pray that you feel better soon!!! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

YAY!! Praise God for your next little nugget!!

btw, i fake cry too, to get my Daniel to laugh. He thinks its hilarious.