Last week I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. This is a cancer of the lymphnodes. I have numerous masses in my neck and chest. Hodgkin's in common in people in their 20s and 30s. Obviously for anyone in that age range being diagnosed with cancer is a complete shock and something you never think will happen to you. It is especially true for me as no one in my family has ever had cancer.
Hodgkin's is curable but you do have to be aggressive in treatment. The typical treatment regiment is 4-6 months of intensive chemotherapy (given every 2 weeks via IV at the hospital) and radiation. My situation is a little bit different though. I am 15 weeks pregnant. Many of the normal medications they would have given to me, the normal scans they would have done, and the normal treatment are all complicated by the fact that there is another life involved in this journey.
We feel so blessed that God allowed us to conceive when He did as chemotherapy can often make people sterile. We are also blessed by the fact that God has brought Dr.'s into our lives who are willing to fight to keep us both safe, something not all Dr.'s would do. Finally we are feeling blessed that God prevented us from moving to Ethiopia this summer to serve on the mission field as that would have meant a far longer journey to diagnosis and also that we would have been apart from our families during this time when we all really need eachother.
So, how are we doing? This has been really tough on my family. It has been hard for my parents, siblings, extended family, and especially hard for my husband. Children are very aware when things are not completely right but I am happy that so far Elias has been affected very little by all of this. He still tackles his Mommy, expects me lug all 28ish pounds of him around, and generally has no idea anything is wrong. I am happy that he will have no memory of all of this except for what we choose to share with him later in life. I am ok. And that's not just some lame answer...I am truly doing okay with all of this.
We had one biopsy done that came back "very suspicious" for Hodgkin's. It then took 8 more days and another biopsy to get the confirmed diagnosis. During that time I had my melt downs. The wait was awful. To know you probably have cancer but not be able to do anything about it because it isn't for sure - that was the WORST. Since the diagnosis I have been relieved. We can fight now. We can get treatment now. We can start taking the road that will put all of this behind us.
I'm sure I'll have my bad days but for now God is keeping me strong. He is keeping me happy. He is keeping His purpose in my mind at all times. I have a personal goal...to walk in to every appointment with a smile and walk out of every appointment with a smile. It isn't going to be easy but if I can manage that then people will SEE a difference in my life and I hope that someone or many people will be able to see a little bit of Jesus in me. Now once I get to the car I start venting to my Mom or Brian :) but I want the people who don't know me to see the hope and joy that I truly have in this situation - the hope and joy that can only come through knowing Jesus.
What happens next? I have weekly appointments with the oncologist, weekly blood work, and many appointments with different specialists in between. I am still working (for now). I can still take care of my child (although I get very very tired). I can still live normally. The frustrating part for me is because this is a "rare" disease (12,000 people per year) and because it is especially "rare" to be pregnant during Hodgkin's (published research is on only a couple of dozen cases worldwide) - the story of what comes next is always changing. On 10/22 I was diagnosed. On 10/22 I was told chemo would start next week. 5 days later I was told no chemo yet. In the meantime my sister bought a one way ticket home from Ethiopia because the plan was for her to come home once chemo started because we would really need her. On Tuesday I was told I would be starting a steroid this week...still no steroid. That's the frustrating part for me. I get mentally prepared for something and then it changes. And then it happens all over again. But the reason why it is always changing is because the Dr.'s want to do as little possible for as long as possible to keep my child alive and safe - how can I be mad about that? I'm a planner. I'm not so good with rolling with the punches. But really that is what the next year of my life is going to be. We will most likely start a low dose chemo soon. Once the baby is delivered I will most likely then need to have the full Hodgkin's regiment (4-6 months intensive chemo)..
This is very private for our family and very serious. Unfortunately what we are finding is that people like to gossip. Human nature feeds off of "big news" like this. Many people have taken liberties in sharing our very private news with many people. Some people have even taken liberties and shared this news on Facebook. To us its unbelievable because its so personal and deeply private. But since sometimes people let us down we figured we wanted the people we know and love to hear it from us first. So if it's going to be out there either way we would rather it come from us.
We appreciate all the love and support we have received.
Love,
Autumn (and Brian)
We have created a private blog to keep family and friends up to date. If you would like access you can email me privately for permission at autumn underscore gossett at yahoo dot com.
32 comments:
When you were in cubbies we used to sing our bible verses so you could learn them better. I have always remembered this verse because of singing it with you. I added the previous verse because it is too important not to.
"Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you."
1 Peter 5:6-7
I claimed this verse very soon after you were told that you have cancer and I trust God that He loves you more than I do. Mom
Autumn,
Our prayers are with you and your family during this very difficult time.
delurking to say - I'm praying for you, that your body would be responsive and receptive to the treatments and that you would feel the hands of God holding you up through these next months.
Thanks for sharing so we can gather with you to ask for complete healing from our Father God.
Many hugs
Autumn, as you share the private and serious parts of your life with us, it allows others to pray along side you and your family. Lifting you up to the ultimate Healer and Jehovah Jirah!
I also wanted to say that this week one of my good friends received the same diagnosis. I shared this section of verses with her last night and thought I'd share them with you too:
"You light a lamp for me.
The Lord, my God, lights up my darkness.
In your strength I can crush an army;
with my God I can scale any wall.
God's way is perfect.
All the Lord's promises prove true.
He is a shield for all who look to him for protection.
For who is God except the Lord?
Who but our God is a solid rock?
God arms me with strength,
and he makes my way perfect.
He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
He trains my hands for battle;
he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
You have given me your shield of victory.
Your right hand supports me;
your help has made me great.
You have made a wide path for my feet
to keep them from slipping."
Psalm 18:28-36 (NLT)
will be thinking about you in this time but i know you will be fine. hodgkins is very treatable but still scary i'm sure. you will keep your baby safe, and still be a great mama to elias. neither of them will know the difference. it's just another challenge to tackle but you are strong. i don't know you but i can tell ;)
good luck and will pray for you! p.s. elias is getting so big! i remember mateo at 14 months. it's when he first came to us. what a fun age!
Oh Autumn...
Please know that I will be praying for you here in Texas. I've so enjoyed watching your journey to your little Elias and rejoiced with the news of another on the way. I'd love to be apart of your private blog, but would totally understand if you want to keep it really private.
Blessings to you my friend. You're in my prayers!
Jenn
i will be fighting with you in prayer. for you and for your dear baby. god has given you an amazing outlook and eyes to see his goodness in the midst of all this. i am sure there will be ups and downs, but i am so thankful that god will hold you close every step of the way.
i'm sorry for people who have hurt you in this process. but i know you have a close family and good friends who will support you every step of the way.
with much bloggy love and many real life prayers,
missy
Oh Autumn... I am so sorry. Please know that you'll be in our prayers. I'm so thankful that you're surrounded by loving friends & family. Tim was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma almost exactly 11 yrs ago this month. He's been cancer free for over 10 yrs now. Hodgkins is a very treatable cancer - so stay strong! If you ever have any questions - just let me know! Also, I'd love to have access to your blog. tanddprust@sbcglobal.net
hugs,
Dawn
i am praying and will continue to do so b/c that is what the body of Christ is for!! But honey, you and Brian become PROS at rolling with the punches during your long an ddrawn out wait for Elias so you will do just fine. i know this is scary and weird and hard and unknown-but I also know that God isn't. He is good, all the time, and you are His. Keep clinging to Him!!
oh guys, i'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis ... and what an especially difficult time to be let down by someone you know (in sharing your private news). you're all in my prayers! (and i love reading your adoption blog!)
I will be praying for you and your family.
Amy
I am so sorry to hear that! We will be praying for you and your baby. If there's anything we can do let me know. We will be praying!
Autumn, Many Prayers from the Gurske Gang. You sound incredibly strong during a time of uncertanity. Thank God you have an AMAZING CORE FAMILY to surround you at all times.
We have NO need to invade privacy, please just know that you are in our prayers! Get well girl so you can chase those to cuties around!
love you. praying for you. CONFIDENT in God's great love and care for you and the little Gossett growing inside you!! my heart hurts today as i hear this news. but I know in Whom I believe and I know He is greater. And I know you got kahones, girl!!
Autumn,
You have been on my heart for days! I will continue to pray for you and your family. I can't wait until a year from now when you will be done with treatment and holding baby G. God has given you so much strength in this time.
Hang in there!!!!
Michelle
www.mfamilyblog.blogspot.com
Autumn and Brian,
You and your family will be in our prayers...we can't imagine how surprising all this must be. We're thinking about you all and hoping that the doctor's info gets a little more concrete!!!!
Chris and Jana
Autumn and Brian,
You're family is in our prayers...Our God is a healing God...He's the same yesterday, today and forever more.....We will be lifting you up before him everyday..... God Bless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have followed your blog since we began our adoption journey. Please know that I am sending many prayers your way! So sorry to hear this news, stay strong and that stinks that people were posting you situation on fb!
Autumn and Brian
So sorry to hear the sad news. You and your family are in my thoughts and my prayers. Please stay as strong as you can, because there's so much worth fighting for.
Autumn, I am so sorry and shocked to hear about this. I have often tuned into your blog and found myself laughing, reading great advice or just enjoying another precious picture of your family. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and both of your babies. I hope that even though you're keeping a private blog you'll give us an occasional update on this one as to how you're doing. I know so many people care about you!
Well, I don't think I have ever commented on your blog (maybe on referral day or passing court) but I have followed for quite a while. Your blog was the 2nd adoption blog I found & I follow daily & use your blog roll to keep up with all of the adoption blogs. Even though we have never met, I have prayed for you during your entire journey of bringing your little guy home & will continue to do so! I am thankful for your wonderful family that you will have to support you. There are lots of bloggy friends who will be praying you through this too. I don't want to put you on the spot & ask to be added to a private blog but I do hope that you will occasionally update here so we can all continue to pray & pray specifically. We are all surprised by this diagnosis but the One who created you & knit together that new little one is not, He is still in control!
Autumn-
You are in my thoughts and prayers. If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask.
Sasha
I am so sorry your privacy has not been respected. I am sure it so hard to have something so vulnerable talked about by other's as "their everyday news."
Your mom's post made me cry! I have a little cubbie right now and I sit in awe to be reminded that I am preparing him for so much in the future. Things I can't even imagine. Oh and I sing some of the versus with Wesley too. It really does help the little ones remember better:)
Dear Autumn,
I want you to know that I have following your blog for a long time now. This news brought tears to my eyes but on the positive side of things I have some VERY good news for you. See, when my aunt was your age she also was dignosed w/ the very SAME type of cancer and she has recovered from it. She is now in her 60's and is doing VERY well. It was as I'm sure u know a very hard thing to get through but with God this is possible. If my aunt can do this you can also!!! Alot of praying is what got us through her cancer and I strongly believe that is why she pulled through. Autumn....You are a very religous, kind, sweet, loving person that God will take care of you 100% of the way. Just as my aunt was a fighter and got through this YOU WILL ALSO!!! My heart goes out to you and I will continue to follow your blog and pray for you....just take it day by day and remember God does EVERYTHING for a reason. You WILL do this:)
God Bless You and your loved ones,
Karen Hernke
WI
www.hernkekid.blogspot.com
Autumn,
I am like many of the other posters here - you and I only know each other through the blogging world and because of adoption, but I am so thankful for that.
Many of your posts have evoked tears of joy from me. This is the first that has brought sorrowful tears.
Thank you so much for sharing this news with us. It may have been a hard thing to open up to the bloggy world, but the good thing about that is that you also open yourself up to many more prayers.
Both of my parents lost their battles with cancer 3 years ago. My mom fought cancer for 21 years. My dad, just 3. The biggest difference was that my mom was a fighter to the end. My dad wasn't. From what you wrote, I can tell you're a fighter. I think 90% of beating cancer is all in your own personal strength. The other 10% is up to the doctors. You have plenty of reasons to fight, and an AMAZING support system. You also have something my parents didn't have - You have the strength of the Lord. You have an extremely long and hard road ahead of you, but you will fight this and you will beat it. And we will all be praying for you along the way. I know I live far and we really don't technically know each other, but please let me know if there is EVER anything I can do for you. Obviously, I'll be praying, along with my husband, but if you ever need anything else(I can overnight freezer meals!) please don't ever hesitate to ask. Good luck and HUGS!!
Megan
(P.S. I'm still crying...amazing how the internet can do this to me!)
oh sweetie!!! I am sitting here stunned, sad, mad, and just overwhelmed. Your spirit just rocks. I am so sorry it took me a few days to read this..i havent read any blogs this weekend. I thought it was odd Em was coming back so soon..I kept thinking about that. I want you to know we are praying for you and praying for your doctors AND praying for sweet baby. You are an amazing child of God and you will make it thru this stronger and wiser. I so wish I could just hug you. I HATE cancer. Devil at work. Please send me the invite for the other blog. I am so sorry people let you down. shame on them. GOD BLESS YOU :)
I know you only through your blog and our shared adoptions through AGCI but you will be in my prayers as you meet this challenge.
autumn, i have been following your blog for almost a year now. feel like i know you and wish i could give you a big hug. my family and i will be praying for you.
Hey Autumn...I was driving in the car today and heard this song. It made me think of you! The real video bugged me, so here's just a video of the song with the lyrics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRWZ1A-CbJA
So you go on and fight like a girl. :)
Autumn,
I signed this post awhile back but wanted to let you know I was thinking of you today. Hope all is going well. My sister just got engaged and last week found out her fiance has Hodgkins Lymphoma and I remembered reading your post. I have sent my sister your blog in hopes to comfort her and her fiance. Sending many thoughts and prayers your way!
i have a friend here in my Sunday School class, Margaret Wright that also got this and found it while pregnant...I'd love to hook yall up if you want...She is an RN and is doing great...her baby girl is now 3 yrs. old.. let me know if I can connect you guys..and praying things are going well for you...I'm just reading and finding this out tonight..sorry to be so behind, kristi johnson
Post a Comment