Friday, March 28, 2008
Adoptive Parenting 200
Brian and I were really excited about our second parenting class, especially since our home study was being completed (see post below). This class was taught by our social worker Lori and her business partner, Susan. We learned a lot about attachment. We focused on the psychology behind a child constantly not having their needs met and some of the expressions a child may have because of this, whether it be shutting down or hyperactivity/crying. We were also taught how to reparent a child who has experienced this loss and sense of extreme independence. The most helpful part for us was learning specific techniques like what to do if our child refuses to eat, has constant temper tantrums, cries incessantly, etc. A lot of the examples were specific to toddlers and older children but many of the things said pertained to infants. Again the importance of the parent meeting every need right away was stressed. We were again told at least for the first month to three months we need to be doing all the feeding, diaper changing, putting to bed, bathing, etc. in order for our child to be able to attach to us and not just see us as more caregivers but really see us as that constant in his life. We were warned about over-stimulation and really needing to just lay low at first. It really was fun to talk to other parents in the adoption process and get to know everyone in our class a bit more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am glad you enjoyed the class again. There is so much information to know and learn. As they say, knowledge is power.
Amy
Washington is looking much longer at this point! They just started processing apps for Oregon too, so they said as long as 120 days!!!! I will go crazy if I have to wait 4months before I can even get on a wait list. My social worker said they have been coming back in 5-6 weeks, but with the addition of Oregon apps she is not sure what is going to happen. I know God's timing is perfect, but that doesn't mean I necessarily have to like his timeline!
Amy
So does that mean you can't make me change his diaper for a while?? phew!
Post a Comment