Ok, it's been a while since I have given an update, mostly because there isn't much to write about. All of our paperwork (minus one reference letter, Jo has the flu :( ) is in. Our DOJ and local police clearances are in. At this point we only need our homestudy and FBI clearances back. Our final homestudy appointment is on Sunday. This week has been crazy, stressful, etc. as we are frantically trying to finish some lingering projects and be as prepared as possible for our home inspection. We are very excited and nervous about Sunday. We (including our social worker) are hoping to have our home study report completed, with FBI clearances, by the end of the month. We will keep our fingers crossed that the FBI has our timeline in mind (haha). I recently realized I never posted anything about our 2nd home study appointment, so here goes.
In this appointment we each had separate 1 and 1/2 hour interviews with the social worker. Both Brian and I were extremely surprised how the interviews went. For a good hour of the time we were answering questions and dishing about our families and childhood. Relatively little was about our future child or our relationship with one another. I guess they figure you will parent similarly to the way you were raised. The most interesting part of my conversation with our social worker, Lori, had to do with my age. She asked me what I thought of the home study process. I answered honestly and told her I was worried she would take one look at me and write me off as being too young. She said it wasn't her place to judge only report her observations. Lori said she found me to be very mature (yes, I know), articulate, etc. for my age and that thought never crossed her mind. She congratulated us for being so young yet having a seemingly very strong marriage of almost 4 years. She was definitely choosing her words carefully at this point and said "As a mother, I would have been very concerned that you were getting married right after your 20th birthday. I think you guys have a great relationship though, your situation is just so (long, weird pause) - different. To be so young and make the decision to get married is different than most people. Then to have children right now is very different from your peers who are probably finishing college and looking for the next step in life. What is even more different is that you don't have any known fertility problems, you want to adopt, and you want to do it first. I think what you guys are doing is great, but you are just so different than most people." I think our social worker is great and loved talking to her. I realized she was being careful, as to not offend me and it didn't. This conversation was followed by me explaining to her the audacity of strangers who think they are allowed to give their opinion on me being married and "looking like a baby" myself. I explained that this is definitely occurring a lot less as I have gotten older but expect it to start up again once we have our little boy!! I have already started mentally preparing to bite my tongue and smile at people who are SO out of line :).
The more I think about this conversation the more thrilled I am. As a Christian, what a wonderful compliment. We are in this world, but try not to be of it. We are DIFFERENT! It's always a little nerve-racking explaining to strangers (like our social worker), who might not understand our reasoning. We are adopting in answer God's call on our lives and in service to Him. In doing so we will be blessed by having the opportunity to be parents. It's been very exciting for me to hear that we are different. Whether people mean it as a compliment or a criticism, I can't help but be happy that we are making choices that are DIFFERENT - what a great testimony!!
5 comments:
The wait list....No you don't get informed everytime the numbers move. You can figure it out through the bi-weekly updates and every month AGCI calls with an update. Yes, we have moved on the list. We went from 17 to 16 on the girl list and hadn't moved on the boy list, but I do know that there has been a couple of referrals. So even though AGCI hasn't told me yet I know (UN-official) we have moved from 14 to 12 this week on the boy list (at least). I get that just from blogs and emails.
So once your on the list, every month Julie or Christy will call you and tell you your new numbers.
Plus the bi-weekly emails.
Michelle
I know exactly how you feel! This post could have discribed my husband and I to a T. We too got married young, both of us had just turned 19. We went through the few years of people looking at us like we were crazy or assuming that you "got in trouble" and had a baby. Nope, we were just in love and knew that it was right because God told us so. God surprised us with the gift of our daughter when we had just turned 23. Now we are in the process of bringing home our second at the age of 25 :) It is a great compliment to know that you are living in a way different from your peers, hopefully this makes Jesus shine even brighter through you!
Okay...I tried posting and I am not sure if it went through, so if this shows up twice sorry!
I just watched the video on ACGI and Hannah's Hope Ethiopia. Oh, my goodness I was in tears! It makes me want to adopt every one of them. I was so touched by all they do and yet feel so helpless knowing there are millions that need families. I am going to start praying that God will give us a call to adoption if that is the direction he has for our family! :)
I love you guys...keep up the blog and hang in there!
Yeah for being DIFFERENT and molding your life after God and not our culture!!! We had a lot of people asking us why we are adopting, since we already have 2 children and 2 is the magic number I guess. I have such strength in telling them "God told us too" instead of we just felt like it. Hopefully God will use our obedience to inspire others to listen to Him and follow His commands in their lives.
Amy
I also got married when I was 20. Matt and I had Katelyn 2 months after my 22 birthday. Why is it that we still feel like we have to defend ourselves for being young and married and then having a child. Matt and I had dated for only 6 months before we got engaged and married only 9 months after that. We knew we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together, so why waste a day. I think it is awesome to be different and to follow after God's will for our lives. Please keep us in your prayers our home visit is this Thursday.
Post a Comment