Friday, March 7, 2008

Journals and Lifebooks

We recently completed our online parenting classes. We really enjoyed them. One staggering statistic we learned was that Ethiopia has the largest number of HIV infected people in the WORLD! Our hearts truly break for the Ethiopians and the pain they endure in their daily lives. We love learning about Ethiopia but not everything we learn is positive. Our hearts absolutely hurt when we hear of the poverty and disease they have to deal with and pray we can be used by God to make a difference in the lives of the Ethiopians.

Another thing we enjoyed learning about in our classes were lifebooks. One class helped explain the importance of journaling our adoption experience and creating a lifebook for our child. I am planning on starting a journal (other than this blog) about the adoption process. Does anyone have any ideas about a lifebook? How does that differ from a typical scrapbook with photos? What things will be important to our adopted child that I might not think about?

7 comments:

Michael and Michelle said...

Great question! I can't wait to hear other advice. I too want to make a life book.
Michelle

C said...

I actually googled "life books" and found some great information. I am on my husbands lap top but when I get on my lap top I will try to send you what I found. Also from our local lib. there was a book and it was all about making a "life book" and I got on amazon and they had it there. I will get you the name of that book, but I found it on amazon by looking up adoption/children. I am so touched to hear that other people out there feel the burden and are praying for all the hurting people in Ethiopia, my husband and I want to find a way to help these adults. I was so blessed to hear how far along your journey is and that the Lord has provided ever step of the way, and thats what our prayers are too. I can't wait to hear what will be going on next, you will be on the waiting list before we know it!!! :) Have a wonderful weekend!!

C said...

http://www.adoptionlifebooks.com/
HERE IS ONE PLACE TO START WITH

Matt and Emily said...

Hi I was so excited to find your blog. We should receive our dossier packet or as you say box in the mail today. Now I know what to expect when I get home. It is so exciting to find couples that are going through the process at the same time as you. Most of the blogs I have been reading they already have their referral or their child is home. I love that idea of a life book. I have already started a seperate journal but am sad to say only have a couple pages written in it. A neat thing for me is that my mom is also writing a journal for the child. Let me know any more info you find about them.
Emily

christa said...

Hey Autumn,

The little boy I work with was adopted from Romania by a Christian family. His mom made him a life book and she included information about the people who cared for him before he came to them, the country he was from (traditions, etc.) and she made sure to bring back some trinkets and traditional clothing items to include in her life book. It turned out to be more of a life box because some of the stuff she brought back wouldn't fit in a book...but it's the same idea. She also made sure to journal the entire trip that she took to bring him home. Every visit she made to the orphanage, every trip to the market, the airport, plane trip, etc. Even the smallest things... that he could look back on one day to get a better sense of where he came from. Unfortunately, he's severely Autistic, so he'll probably never be able to appreciate the value of the life book, but it's an important part of their family's history that I'm sure they'll value forever.

christa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
christa said...

I just spoke with my little guy's mom and she offered to let me send you the life book she made for him, as well as a book on making a life book, so that you can see an example. That is, of course, under the pretense that you send them back when you're done. The one she has offered to send is the one she made for him to have when he was little...it's not as good as the original, big one, but she didn't want to risk him ruining the original one while he was a little kid. Let me know if you want me to send them. I'm sure it'd be helpful. Here's my email address: christa_tibbitts@csumb.edu

Take care!
Christa