He seems to be doing really well with his motor and developmental skills. He loves to watch things outside like birds. He does a great job at following them with his eyes. He’s a pretty smart kid! Elias is a huge fan of himself and he loves looking in the mirror. When we first got him he couldn’t sit up and he could barely roll over back to front. When he did roll over he wouldn’t be able to lift up his neck at all (while lying on his tummy) and he would get frustrated and start crying very easily. Over the last 2 weeks he has learned how to roll over both ways, can completely hold up his neck while on his tummy, and he can sit up until he gets distracted by something and leans for it.
HH does a great job at caring for the children under the circumstances. After seeing how well Elias is doing and how quickly he is advancing since being with us I am even more convinced that being a part of a family is the best situation regardless of how wonderful the facility. Two weeks of 2 on 1 attention and sometimes 6 on 1 depending on the number of visitors has been wonderful for our sweet little boy (and us too)!
At that Dr.’s we found out he weighs 19.7 lbs and is 27.5 inches long. I don’t remember his head circumference but I do remember it was in the 95th percentile. We have to see a specialist about his head shape and the Dr. thinks he is a candidate for a “football helmet.” Poor baby. We are also going to see a chiropractor about his neck as he chooses to only move it one direction and has very limited mobility in the other direction. Have I told you how much I loathe those stupid bouncy seats??? They foster many bad habits.
Right now we are at my parent’s house watching my two teenage brothers. Elias has been really great at being flexible under the circumstances. As long as he is getting some love and attention he doesn’t care where he is. Jake and Alex are doing really well with him. They love to scream, “Autumn, your baby is crying” whenever Elias is waking from a nap or getting his diaper changed. As if I can’t hear the ear piercing shrills when I am leaning over him changing a diaper. They seem to think they are being helpful though. Alex refers to Elias as his “friend.” When he wakes up or comes downstairs he says, “Where is my friend? There’s my friend.” It’s sweet. They also have teenage boy questions. As Elias is sleeping on my chest, Alex (15) asks me if it is lame to have a baby fall asleep on me. What kind of question is that? His reasoning was that I have to be quiet and can’t really move. It also is hot and he drools on me. I assured him it wasn’t lame and despite all his very good points I love it!
Elias’ current nicknames are drool monster, buddy, mr. bouncy, sweet pea, and lover boy.
11 comments:
he is such a cutie. I think i might have seen him in his bouncy seat (those dang bouncy seats) at HH just days before you got there. glad to hear that he is doing better. what a trouper to put up with double ear infections. a lot of the babies in our travel group had those too. our daughter didn't but she is older (1 year old) and was sitting up and crawling everywhere at HH. i am also enjoying your ethiopia posts. it reminds me that i need to finish mine.
A question for ya. What do you use on Elia's hair..Baby comb, brush something else?? I have a baby comb and brush with all our little guys hair and curls i'm not sure if i need something different.
Glad to hear that Elias is doing so good. Lidya also loves to look at herself in the mirror. Isometimes put her in her Bumbo chair in front of the mirror and let her laugh at herself for awhile.
That picture of Elias sleeping is SO sweet. I want to meet him!
Lovin all the updates!
Enjoyed the post of about sweet Elias. I saw where you mentioned he's a possible candidate for a "football helmet". I am a pediatric physical therapist and we often see children for plagiocephaly(misshapen head) and a condition that often accompanies this called torticollis(tightness of a muscle in the child's neck that causes the head to tilt to the same side and rotate to the opposite side.) I don't diagnose because I am not a physician, but it appears this may be what Elias has. It is commonly associated with children who spend a lot of time on their backs. I'm not trying to bombard you with info, but you may want to ask your pediatrician for a referral for a physical therapy consult(most states have early intervention programs for 0-3 year olds where the child is eligible to receive services in the home if they qualify). The condition is usually easily correctable if the child is under year of age. Hope this helps and good luck with your beautiful boy:)
Oh Autumn, thanks so much for your updates, pictures of Ethiopia and the great information! Elias is darling and it sounds like you guys are the BEST parents! I totally know how you felt about the caregivers at HH when he was crying. That happened to us over and over again for the 4 weeks we were visiting Isabelle at the baby house in Kazakhstan when we adopted her. You do just want it to be your turn!
I have so enjoyed reading your last few posts! You can really tell that you are both enjoying being parents. Elias is so cute! God Bless...Shannon
Autumn, he's gorgeous!!!!! We are so excited for you guys...All we are waiting for is our CIS approval and we are on the waitlist...It won't be long we'll be leaving to get our precious little girl....Congrats, and God Bless!!!
Love the update Autumn and your brothers are hilarious : )
I have kids with frequent ear infections too. We just finished a 10 day antibiotic with runny poops multiple times a day the whole time. NO bueno.
I'm sorry about the football helmet!! I have several friends who have had their kids in those and it really helped ...
just wondering, did you know about his head before you saw it, or did you learn about it the first time at HH?
i love hearing about his little personality! VERY fun! so glad he is napping well for you.
XOXO
What a fun happy little one. He is so adorable.
Post a Comment