Our schedule on Day 4 was very open. The only thing we had planned was our 2pm appointment at the US Embassy where we would be answering questions to then have Elias' visa and passport issued. When we all eventually woke up Elias seemed happy. After only 2 doses of antibiotics I could already see that this was not the inconsolable little boy we met less than 24 hours earlier. He still seemed uncomfortable and didn't last more than 15 minutes without fussing but he never cried the same way he did at HH.
The first thing on the agenda was to give the baby his first bath with Mom and Dad.
"Dad help, the mean lady dropped me!"
I learned my lesson and have never dropped my slippery son since.
Later in the morning we had Almeu and Israel come to our hotel to hang out.
Their favorite pastime...watching movies on Emily's computer
Elias was content being held or having someone play with him.
Our happy boy has arrived!!!
The other families in our travel group decided to spend the afternoon shopping but I wasn't ready to leave a still sick and fussy Elias. We ended up just hanging at the hotel for a while. Eventually we decided to head to HH to make sure all of our donations which were taken over earlier in the morning got there okay.
Almaz was really excited to see Almeu and Israel
We had fun playing with the kids. Alemu was shy and Israel wanted to get into everything because it was all new. We now know this is typical. Elias' nannies absolutely loved seeing him. We took a bunch of photos of them together. The next day Brian and Emily went out into town to get a bunch of photos printed. I gave each of his special mothers a hinged picture frame with a photo of Elias on one side and a photo of them together on the other. When we presented these presents you would have thought they had won the lottery.
Elias and Sofiya
We kicked a sweet little girl out of her crib which only days before was his crib so we could get some pictures. I had a lot of fun getting to pay attention to the way the special mothers interacted with Elias. They called him "Besu" and would sing a song when they held/bounced him. "Besu, Besu, Besufikad, Besufikad, Besu-ye, Besu-ye, Besufikad." It was also this day that I noticed details that I had missed during the first meeting. Elias' bottle was #5 and he usually sat in a pink bouncy chair.
One of Elias' special mothers named Almaz was extremely attached to him.
Elias and Almaz
She very openly proclaimed him as her favorite and grabbed him from me the second she saw us. She played with him until the director Almaz told her to stop paying so much attention to a child who already has a Mom and Dad here. It was harsh but true...she had basically been ignoring any other duties and played with him for a couple hours but I saw how much she didn't want to say good-bye. As we left she sobbed. I hugged her and thanked her. I didn't know what else to do. She looked at Elias and said something in Amharic that I didn't understand. Then she looked at me and smiled, grabbed his hands and said in English, "I love you so much. So much." She didn't have to repeat herself in English but she did it for me and I was very grateful to have shared that moment with her.
We went back to the Union to have dinner and hang out.
10 comments:
Ok since you said you kicked a little girl out of the crib that days before had belonged to Elias was there by chance another crib like that. Our pictures of T are of him in a crib with that exact same bedding, blanket and mobile.
Love your new header and enjoying the details of your trip. How wonderful that he was so adored by his special mothers and what a thoughtful gift you gave them.
Christina
Hi Autumn! I love reading your day-by-day adventure! It's so fun to see pictures of Hannah's Hope and the hotel. Did you bring that baby bath with you?
i am in heaven reading this...keep going! i want to go back! he is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember that first night!!!! sooo scarey!!!
Sounds like you had some really priceless moments with his special mom's (mom). What a good mom to pay attention to the song and bouncing etc. You should have seen me. I was like a deer in the head lights!
I miss Ethiopia and Hannah's Hope. Your little Elias is so sweet!!!
In our first picture of T we could see something down by his feet. I thought it looked like a book or something that someone may have sent to their child. I was actually worried that the referral picture we got was someone else's baby so I questioned Christy. She looked at the photos and said that it was probable just a toy that got into the crib with him and she assured us it was not a child that had been referred to another family. Now i look at the pic and I have seen the photo album you sent to Elias..I belive the book in T's referral pic is the photo book you sent Elias..This is bizarre. Apprently our boys have spent time in the same crib. I will have to investigate further when we travel.
Loved your post and it made me cry. Our daughter's nanny was also very attached which broke our hearts. It is so great knowing that our babies were so loved. Your son is absolutely adorable!
I was thrilled to see some more Ethiopia updates :) Poor baby! You dropped him? LOL!! No worries..my bio daughter dived off the changing table at 5 months. EEK. happens to the best of us. Could your son be ANY cuter?? I am dying to see "the picture" heehee...kidding. You dont have to post ;)
It is SO HARD when babies are sick!! isn't it?! what a hard first meeting ... to show up and meet your boy for the first time ... after waiting SOOOOO LONG only to find him sick and 'not himself.' poor little man, and poor you!
As for the slippery tub incident, i've had my fair share of those!! EEEEk.
he really is gorgeous Autumn.
Post a Comment