When our appointed meeting time arrived we walked to HH. We got there and she hadn't arrived. We played with the children. We watched the special mothers dote over Elias.
I took photos and video around HH.
The front doors
The living room where we watched him sleep
The stairs leading to the hallway where we first met him and his bedroom
The first place I bathed him
The first place I changed him
I got yelled at for taking video and Brian took photos of me getting yelled at because he thought it was hilarious.
Meanwhile, it was 10:15am. We continued to work to stay distracted while we became more and more anxious. Another 15 minutes passed. Still, despite being a 1/2 hour past our appointed time I remained hopeful. We had prayed for this day and I so desperately wanted this for my son. After 45 minutes I looked to Almaz in desperation asking her if she was going to show. Almaz said, "she probably will." Probably was not promising. I thought that I could not pass any judgement if she had changed her mind as I might not be brave enough to face my decision had our roles been reversed. Then we heard a knock on the gate.
Immediately I had butterflies in my stomach. Elias was with a special mother (in a bouncy seat, go figure) and I bent down to pick him up. I looked over and saw her walking toward me. It was obvious I was the one she was there to meet. As she walked closer Almaz stepped in. They exchanged words in Amharic and then she pointed to Elias as Almaz nodded that yes, this was her son. Instantly the tears started flowing down her cheeks. As Brian walked to join us my heart was completely broken. I handed Elias to her as we walked into Almaz's office. Elias started screaming so she handed him back. When he instantly calmed in my arms a wave of guilt rushed over me...I knew her heart was aching.
We presented her with a letter Brian and I had painstakingly written. Almaz started to translate until Elias' birthmother could take it no more and asked her to stop. She said she would try to read it later. Then I gave her the photo album I had made for her. She looked at each page and as she did so we all cried. Although we needed a translator to communicate, no words were necessary. Adoption reflects joy, pain, sacrifice, loss, hope and love. In a few brief moments we all experienced these emotions at a level so intense it was shocking to our systems.
I will keep the details of our conversation private as Elias' history is his to share but I got what I wanted out of this meeting. It was extremely difficult. At one point Almaz who was translating looked at Brian and I and said "you guys are a bunch of cry babies" as she reached for a tissue to wipe her own eyes. Our meeting was short and I didn't ask many questions at all. There were and are a lot of things I would like to know but it just wasn't the right time. What I wanted was to be able to look my son in the eye and tell him the truth. I got that.
Elias,
I saw her, I touched her, I hugged her, I held her, I spoke to her, I cried with her, I looked her in the eyes and I know she loves you.
We hung around HH for another hour or so. Once all the families had their meetings it was back to business as usual. We all met with Almaz to pick up our children's passports and visas. Since we had done the cultural dinner the night before we were now back to a situation where it was early afternoon and nothing else was planned for the day. We were all getting so sick of hanging at the hotel. We wanted to go shopping but the van wasn't available. We ended up walking back to the Union where we decided we would chip in and hire a couple taxis and have Emily be our tour guide.
Traci stayed back with the older kids. Brian had been planning on going but ended up having a headache and an upset stomach. After such an emotionally exhausting morning it was really no surprise. Brian stayed back with Elias, Alemu and Israel while Emily took the rest of us adults shopping. We went to the textile market by Entonto Mountain very close to the U.S. Embassy. We got great deals and had a lot of fun.
Then we went to the shops near the post office which ended up being the same place the others had gone the day Brian and I stayed behind. I picked up a lot of touristy type stuff there. After a couple hours we headed back and had dinner at the hotel.
Emily had to go back home because she had kids to take care of but Almeu and Israel decided they wanted to spend the night with us at the hotel. Brian and I fell asleep while the boys watched Spiderman (big surprise). At one point I woke up to someone yelling in Amharic. It was Alemu yelling at Israel to move over because somehow he ended up lying diagonally when they were squeezed together on a twin bed. At that moment I remember being overwhelmed with love and joy. Here we were in Ethiopia. My son was sleeping in between Brian and I and my brothers were a few feet away acting just like brothers should. In that moment, life was perfect!
13 comments:
Wow, your telling about your birthmother meeting brings ours right back to me. I thank god so much that I was able to meet R's birthmother, and although it was by far the hardest part of our trip, I cherish the memory in my heart. After all, I know where my baby gets her beautiful hair and eyes... and more importantly her bravery and loving heart! Sounds like you have the same thing.
Thank you so much for shareing your every detail with us. As I am anxious and scared at the same time reading about your trip helps it. It is so special that you were ablt to meet your son's birth mother.
Autumn, your story is so emotional! It has every emotion in it -- and I am looking forward to our turn. I am so enjoying your posts on Ethiopia. Thanks for sharing so much!
love reading your daily acounts. it helps me to 'be there' a bit...praying for good news from court. I LOVE the 'picture' too funny. what a beautiful boy and beautiful bmom. we will have a meeting like that too...makes me happy/sad/nervous. hey how was the ethiopian food? share with me :)
So beautiful. So gut wrenching. So many emotions that day. But I am SOOOOOO glad for you and for Elias that you were able to meet his first mother and share with her your thanks. What comfort that must provide her down the line as she thinks of her son! What assurance that must be for Elias too, that you can testify to her love for him.
thank you for recounting the details of your trip. i can't imagine what you were feeling as you sat and cried with his birth mother. it was bittersweet to read about it. i'm so glad you let us in a bit to that incredible experience.
on a lighter note, lol about the picture of you getting yelled at for shooting video. the look on your face is priceless!
Thanks for sharing. We had a very similar birth mother meeting. LOTS of tears, but I'm soooo glad we got to meet her. Again, so many questions I had wanted to ask, but like you said, it just didn't feel right to ask her at that time. But, what a wonderful experience you have to share with Elias!!
Blessings to you.
(and too funny about the "getting in trouble" picture!! :) )
-Suzi
Beautiful!
You do the best posts!! Thank you for all the details - I really appreciate it all. I get more and more anxious to go everyday!
Your memory is impeccable ... I got a feeling it'll all be a fog for me ... great job ... and thank you!
I'm really enjoying reading about your trip. I'm so anxious to go! Thanks for sharing. Your photos are great too!
This brought tears to my eyes. I am so thankful you were able to meet her and hopefully provide Elias with closure later in life if he needs it.
You brought me to tears. I just love reading about your trip as it brings back so many memories. Thank you so much for sharing.
Post a Comment