Friday, April 3, 2009

2 Months Together/ A Lot of Firsts

Well we have been together as a family of three for 2 months! Things are going well. Beyond great. Really. Life pre-Elias was wonderful. Life post-Elias is ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS! We go to bed earlier and have to plan ahead more but we still hang out with family and go on outings just as much as we did before. Elias was meant to be a part of our family...he has brought us so much JOY! We are truly loving our new roles as Mom and Dad. Brian is back to work this week and we have been adjusting to a new schedule that includes child care 3 days a week. Luckily Brian is off work at 2:30 AND even better Elias is only babysat by grandparents (whew!). This has been a relatively easy adjustment for me because I know Elias is going to be the center of attention and well taken care of. It's still difficult when he cries but that is seeming to get better.

Elias got his helmet yesterday. I will post a blog about that with pictures soon...so far so good. We have some videos to post so I will try and have Brian help me figure that out this weekend. I also still will be finishing up Days 8-10 in Ethiopia but before I can I have to make an announcement otherwise the way we spent our time there will be utterly confusing so stay tuned for the big reveal...

Since a post without photos is boring and I don't have my camera with me I will leave you with some photos over the past 2 months documenting Elias' firsts!First time seeing his roomFirst time in the Bumbo chairHis first time in the "Big Boy" car seat. This was his 2nd time in any car seat as he rode in one to come home from the airport. I had my Mom bring the infant car seat. Bad idea. This big boy didn't fit in the infant car seat and even with the straps fully extended we could only buckle one. We rode home from the airport that way (sshhh...we had no other option) and then returned it. So much for getting a car seat that will hook into our stroller.First ride in the car seat

First time at church in California (his first time to church was in Ethiopia)

First pair of shoes

First trip to the doctor (this was taken right after the shot)First time in a stroller...despite the face he loves strollers and being outsideFirst walkFirst time eating rice cereal...he still hates it...can't blame him that stuff is NASTY!First food - YamsFirst bedtime storyFirst time to the beachFirst time dipping his feet in the ocean. Maybe the Pacific in February was a bad idea

First time opening Christmas presents - we saved them for him and opened them with Brian's family...his favorite part was the bags

We look forward to many more FIRSTS together!

13 comments:

Jenny R said...

He is so cute! I love his expressions. You all look so happy!

Renee said...

I love seeing all his firsts...your beach pictures are beautiful. Can't wait to be doing a post like this myself..soon.

Three2Five said...

We have the same picture of Liam's first time with Cereal..you would have thought it was poison..It was too cute and pretty funny.

Sarah said...

If your big reveal involves moving to Ethiopia, take me with you!!! I mean, I know I'm going in a few weeks, but leaving Ethiopia is going to kill me. I know I'm not going to get out of there without making plans to go back...

Elias is just so stinkin' cute! Makes me REALLY want my little girl!

Sarah

Lonnie said...

So neat to capture all those firsts! Thanks for sharing.

Dawn said...

I'm going to be experiencing all these firsts VERY soon!! Can't wait! Love all the pics - SO cute! Especially the beach ones!

cb4swife said...

It is so great to read how you are all doing. The pictures are great...Our little guy loves his cereal...it could be because I skipped the rice and went right to oatmeal with bananas :) Can't wait to hear about the last few days of your trip...God Bless...Shannon

jody said...

ok, for some reason, when i looked at the picture of him where brian is wearingt he green shirt, the shadows from the collar of brian's shirt make it look like you put elias' hair in tiny piggies and i just laughed right out loud at it! haha! ok, now spill it sister....

Renee said...

Thanks Autumn i thought that you had posted before you traveled but wanted to check with AGCI to be sure it was ok. In two weeks he will be in our arms forever. So flippen excited. The newest pics i have of him are the ones you sent so when we get some from Christy(some time this week) i'll email ya. Oh i was gonna ask you also if you know if there is more then one special mother with the name Sofiya? I saw the pic of Elias with Sofiya and when we got T's update it says Sofiya is one of his special moms just wondered if it was the same person. His other special moms are Martha,Mestawet and Rahel. Would love to hear if you know anything about them.

Renee said...

How awesome that our boys had at least 3 of the same special mothers..Hopefully we will get to meet Rahel and Mestawet when we are there I'm sure you would like pictures of them for Elias.

Kristi J said...

Ok, so I have a strange question...You mentioned he's getting a helmet...is that from flat head?? Ok, so I ask this because I have this slight obsession with my own bio children's heads..I rotate them constantly as babies and obsess about their heads being round..I know..strange!! My friends totally make fun of me about how much I talk about "not letting my kids get a flat head"...Ok, so first thought in my head when I saw our baby girl's pics were.."I can't see the back of her head..I wonder if it is flat?"....so my question is...Do they typically get flat head from the orphanage or does this culture put them to sleep on their bellies?? You mentioned helmet and I jumped...I know, strange thing to think about and nothing you can do when they don't live with you and are in an orphanage...but just curious :) kristi

Dawn said...

no no no - i'm saving room for you. so please send anything you have. it doesnt have to be just letters either. send away my friend!

Jessica said...

You all look so great!! :) Such a happy family! Lucy hates rice cereal too....i mix it with whatever baby food veggie or fruit she's eating that day...she likes it beter. She also likes oatmeal cereal. :)