Tonight was our third parenting class. We focused on grief and loss. It was very interesting to hear a couple of "worst case" scenarios both at infancy and adolesence. Intersting, scary, intimidating... I think the biggest lesson I took away from tonight is it won't be perfect. The transition for our child is huge. The transition for us is huge. Everyone involved is placed in unfamiliar roles so there will absolutely be bumps in the road, we just need to be as prepared as possible to work through those frustrating and trying times.
We are finding that we have fun discussing our adoption process with other in process adoptive parents at our class. It's so nice to be able to share ideas and learn from one another, compare notes about our process, etc. I really wanted to find a support group of families who have adopted from Ethiopia here in San Diego that we could join. Apparently, there aren't any. When I asked Michelle (Adoption Alliance Program Director) about this her reply was, "No there aren't but you should start one." I actually laughed out loud. How intimidating. I wanted to join a group to learn from other people cause I'll admit there are so many things about parenting, adoption, transracial families, and Ethiopia that I don't know. Since there are three of us in the class who are adopting from Ethiopia we wrote down e-mails and I am going to disperse the information. Disclaimer: this does not mean that I have any idea how to organize a support group nor am I starting anything official, I'm just a good e-mailer :) Hopefully we can continue to get together, learn from one anothers experiences, and share in the ups and downs of adoption.
No comments:
Post a Comment