Friday, April 11, 2008

Dossier Is In D.C.


Our dossier has been sent to the State Department and the Ethiopian Embassy in Washington, D.C. for authentication (1-2 weeks). Once it is back in the AGCI office it will be sent to Ethiopia (1-3 weeks) and translated (1-2 weeks). Then it waits just like we do!

Here's what happens once we accpet our referral:

*Once we officially accept the referral of our child, AGCI will submit our dossier along with the child’s information to the Federal Court of Addis Ababa. At that time, they will look over just the child’s information, make sure all is in order and write a letter on behalf of the adoption. (2-3 Weeks)

*AGCI's coordinator will pick up the letter and submit the whole file and letter to the Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MOWA). They will review all the information, including our dossier and approve us or request more information. (2-3 Months)

*Once the file has been approved by MOWA it will go back to the Federal Court of Addis Ababa where a court appointment will be scheduled. This will be scheduled up to 2-3 weeks later.

*Once the court appointment has been completed a Court Decree is issued. (1 Month)

*Once the Court Decree is issued AGCI will request the passport to be issued for our child and the U.S. Embassy Appointment. This U.S. Embassy Appointment is when we will travel to Ethiopia to pick up our child!!

So as you can see it really would be a miracle if we received a referral (which could take a couple/few months) and passed court by the end of July. We remain confident that if it is meant to be even this miracle could happen!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Autumn,

I don't think it's taking that long. Martha told us that we could have our Decree in 8 weeks. I know Dee Dee has been waiting over 2 months for her decree, but I haven't read of anyone waiting longer than her yet. We were told that after the decree is issued, we travel 2-3 weeks later. I'm thinking we'll travel in June, which is 3 months after we accepted our referral.

I guess waiting for the referral is what takes so long. It's such a long time, but it does go by so fast. Before you know it, you'll be parents!

Sharon

Our Princess said...

I was so excited to happen upon your blog. We are about where you are in the process. I'm even more excited b/c I realized that it looks like you get a "number" as soon as all the dossier is in to AGCI (not after it's authenicated, etc. like I was thinking). You are flying through the paperwork phase. Can't wait to be waiting for a referral with you.
Karey in TN
mizeadoption.blogspot.com

Our journey said...

Our Lord is a miracle worker and anything is possible through him. Praying for you to move down that list. I think 12 is too high of a number!

Amy

Kathleen said...

Hi there Autumn!
My parents received Emily's Burundi letter which mentions your new adventure as well! So, I just had to check it out. My aunt adopted 2 Ethiopian teenagers when I was 4 years old. Because of the wonderful part of our family that they are, anything "Ethiopia" grabs my attention. I hope all goes well for you. -Kathleen McCarty (Hood River, Oregon)

Unknown said...

wowie, that's a long process! I'm sure it will just speed by for you though : )