Today I got off of work early and somehow found myself wandering around Target. Actually, it was more like spending 45 minutes walking
very slowly down every single baby aisle. I didn't buy anything and had no intention to do so. Not knowing the age or size of our baby has made it incredibly easy to not shop. Every time I see something cute I can logically talk myself out of buying it because if I did I might just be creating a really large return pile for myself. We actually haven't purchased
anything. I just wanted to be around baby stuff. I have been looking for bedding because I am feeling like I need to get my act together and start turning the now guest room into a nursery but I can't find anything I like. The more I look the more I realize I am just not a classical Pooh person. Brian called me a Pooh-hater today and I'm not, I swear, it's just not
me. I found some things that I think I kinda like in the catalog at Target. They are from JJ Cole and are a touch more modern rather than really baby/nursery feel. If they weren't $200 I might be more willing to settle on these that I like rather than holding out for something I love. I would like to try and find them in person though to see if I do end up "loving" one of the sets. Luckily Brian doesn't laugh too much at my antics. A while back he said "it's not weird Autumn, you're just nesting. At least I think that's what they call it."
I am also acting a touch like a hormonal pregnant lady, but the emotional adopting lady counterpart. I chopped off my hair. Approximately 7 inches. I walked into the salon, looked at my hair dresser and said, "I want Mom hair." She was laughing, I wasn't. I don't know exactly why I did it. My hair has never been this short, at least not since elementary school. I was hoping it would make me look older so I might ward off some of those "you are too young to be a Mom" comments. I don't think it worked. Also I was starting to think about maintenance. When would I have time to do my hair with a baby? Babies love to pull my long hair and I just didn't want to deal with that every day. Maybe it was a control thing. So many things in life right now are so out of my control so I made a controlled big decision. Enough psychoanalyzing myself. I have no idea. At least it wasn't one of those hair traumas where you cry for 3 days later.

Here is a picture of my "Mom hair." Brian and I went to a 30th birthday disco party. There are a lot of qualities we have that will make us good parents. Although looking hot in our groovy disco duds isn't one of them - it's certainly a bonus!

4 comments:
Autumn,
Nesting is perfectly normal and appropriate during adoption. Of course, once you see that baby's photo there will be too much to do in not enough time. Your hair looks great by the way.
Sharon
I remember picking out bedding and all the excitement that goes along with that first baby. The walking up and down the aisles dreaming and wondering what it is going to be like. (I can't tell you how many hours I spent doing that the first time around!) The thoughts of gently rocking and cuddling that warm life that is a part of your family. The all encompassing love you feel for that little person that is so different, yet as strong as the love you feel for your husband. I am so excited for you as a first time mom to get to go through all those experiences.
LOVE your hair!
Amy
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - I always love meeting other families going through this :)!
I laughed about the pooh comment - that's me. I'm not a pooh hater at all, just not my style either :).
I think your hair looks cute!
Kristin
I will admit I am a pooh hater!! I don't like anything pooh. OK fine his cartoons are fine for children but anything else is not me at all.
You should shop at overstock.com they have some really cute stuff for less $$$$$. Good luch shopping.
I am so excited for Tues. I really hope you get your FDL handed to you!!!
Michelle
Post a Comment