The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. Psalms 51:17
I haven't written the past couple days despite the fact there has been so much going on. I decided to act on the advice, "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all." It is time though to share what has been happening, express my feelings and let you know of our need for prayer. Last Wednesday Brian spoke to Christy to talk about the changes in the court process. She didn't know the specifics of where our case stood which worried us since others were being given specific court dates and information. We finally connected this Tuesday only to hear that there was information for all the families whose papers had been submitted for a court date and ours was mysteriously missing. After explaining how desperate we were for answers Christy promised she would do some investigating. The possibilities included the following: 1) We had already had a court date, had failed, and our rescheduled court date was not yet known; 2) We had a court date sometime soon (like others who received referrals around the same time we did) but we were accidentally left off the list; 3) Maybe our file had been misplaced and we had not yet been assigned a court date. Surprisingly I faced these possibilities with relative peace, at least for a few hours.
The reality that something bad could have happened really set in on Wednesday. This was coupled with a misunderstanding that maybe we wouldn't be getting pictures (like I said a misunderstanding, which has since been corrected) but the combination was enough to send me into a tailspin. I couldn't stop crying and skipped youth group for fear that well meaning people who love us might ask about the adoption. After sobbing and praying until I couldn't think anymore I dealt with it like most people would. I put on some sweats, took medicine for the pounding headache, and ate a dinner consisting solely of tater tots, jalapeno poppers, starbursts and wine. My face was puffy so I washed off the makeup only to see blemishes that weren't there that morning. I don't know what it is about raging hormones and zits but when my emotions are going berserk that is the last thing I want to see. I forced myself to calm down and watched a cheesy 80s movie with Julia Roberts. It was exactly what I needed. When Brian came home he sat next to me and asked how I was doing. I said, "better." As he got up to go do something else I lost it. My lip started quivering, I had to blink really fast to keep from crying again, and grabbed him begging him not to leave. Geez, the poor guy just wanted off the couch.
Thursday was rougher. I reached a place of complete brokenness. I was angry and sad. As I was driving home I heard over the radio "Just trust God. Forget the fleeting, forget the things you can't control. Just trust in God." And then this song came on and I felt it expressed me so much more than I could express myself.
I’m not alright
I haven't written the past couple days despite the fact there has been so much going on. I decided to act on the advice, "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all." It is time though to share what has been happening, express my feelings and let you know of our need for prayer. Last Wednesday Brian spoke to Christy to talk about the changes in the court process. She didn't know the specifics of where our case stood which worried us since others were being given specific court dates and information. We finally connected this Tuesday only to hear that there was information for all the families whose papers had been submitted for a court date and ours was mysteriously missing. After explaining how desperate we were for answers Christy promised she would do some investigating. The possibilities included the following: 1) We had already had a court date, had failed, and our rescheduled court date was not yet known; 2) We had a court date sometime soon (like others who received referrals around the same time we did) but we were accidentally left off the list; 3) Maybe our file had been misplaced and we had not yet been assigned a court date. Surprisingly I faced these possibilities with relative peace, at least for a few hours.
The reality that something bad could have happened really set in on Wednesday. This was coupled with a misunderstanding that maybe we wouldn't be getting pictures (like I said a misunderstanding, which has since been corrected) but the combination was enough to send me into a tailspin. I couldn't stop crying and skipped youth group for fear that well meaning people who love us might ask about the adoption. After sobbing and praying until I couldn't think anymore I dealt with it like most people would. I put on some sweats, took medicine for the pounding headache, and ate a dinner consisting solely of tater tots, jalapeno poppers, starbursts and wine. My face was puffy so I washed off the makeup only to see blemishes that weren't there that morning. I don't know what it is about raging hormones and zits but when my emotions are going berserk that is the last thing I want to see. I forced myself to calm down and watched a cheesy 80s movie with Julia Roberts. It was exactly what I needed. When Brian came home he sat next to me and asked how I was doing. I said, "better." As he got up to go do something else I lost it. My lip started quivering, I had to blink really fast to keep from crying again, and grabbed him begging him not to leave. Geez, the poor guy just wanted off the couch.
Thursday was rougher. I reached a place of complete brokenness. I was angry and sad. As I was driving home I heard over the radio "Just trust God. Forget the fleeting, forget the things you can't control. Just trust in God." And then this song came on and I felt it expressed me so much more than I could express myself.
I’m not alright
I’m broken inside, broken inside
And all I go through
It leads me to you, it leads me to you
Burn away the pride
Bring me to my weakness
Until everything I hide behind is gone
And when I’m open wide
With nothing left to cling to
Only you are there to lead me on
Cause honestly, I’m not that strong
I’m not alright
I’m broken inside, broken inside
And all I go through
It leads me to you, it leads me to you
Brokenness before God is not a fun place to be. I found myself crying, praying, listening, and just being - completely humbled by such overwhelming heartache and fear of the unknown. I have certainly learned adoption is not for the faint of heart. I also know that my God will never ask me to do that which is more than I can handle because He will not leave me.
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psalms 34:18
Maybe God just knew I needed something to bring me to a point of complete surrender and brokenness of spirit. I won't pretend to know why but what I can cling to is the promise of scripture.
Maybe God just knew I needed something to bring me to a point of complete surrender and brokenness of spirit. I won't pretend to know why but what I can cling to is the promise of scripture.
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9
Today we found out a little information as to what happened to our case. It was not what we wanted to hear.
In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:19
Although we were told a few times that our paperwork had been submitted to the courts as soon as they opened, the reality of the situation is quite different. Although our file is in order, our son's is not. His paperwork was done incorrectly and has not yet been fixed. What this means is our paperwork has not been submitted to the courts yet and we have not yet been assigned a court date. At this point it is unknown when the corrections will be made as it rests in hands outside of our agency. It is therefore unknown when our paperwork will be submitted. What we do know is the courts are already booked until the end of December. So best case scenario, if the social worker in charge of the corrections gets them done quickly and our paperwork is submitted soon, we are looking at a court date in January and travel late January or February. This best case scenario seems doubtful as it has already been 2 months since our referral that our son's paperwork could have been being corrected. There are also any number of things that could keep us from passing court our first time around.
There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord. Proverbs 21:30
We love Elias and we want him to be with us so badly. We must also remember that he is God's child first and God loves him more than even we are capable of. Please pray that the corrections would be made soon, that our agency would be diligent in their follow up, that we will be assigned a court date soon, and that we pass the first time around. We know God's timing will be perfect. We are trying to focus on this but find ourselves speculating at what could possibly be God's reason to have this delay happen to us. Unfortunately, peace comes and goes in fleeting moments and brokenness and despair can often cloud our optimism. We are doing what we can to trust but our hearts are so involved; it is hard to have the faith of a child when every human urge is to cry out asking "why?"
Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait on Him.' Lamentations 3:22
17 comments:
Autumn I can't imagine the pain you guys are feeling..I pray that your son's paperwork gets completed and you get your court date and pass the first time thru. With Julie being in Ethiopia is it safe to assume that she will be taking pictures for the families that have been referred children?
Oh Autumn! I'm so sorry to hear this. I was wondering where you had gone! Ironically, I checked into your blog tonight to read some of the hopeful scriptures you had posted in the past. (I'm working on a devotional for a baby shower.) There isn't really much that I think of to say to comfort you that you haven't already spoken of in your wrenching post. My heart is soft for you and other mommies-to-be who have waited so very long for your first baby...yours is a unique plight often taken for granted by some of us adding to the children we already have. Remember the verse in 1 Samuel that you have chosen for Elias. You have prayed and wept over this child. God hears you. And He will bring you together so very soon, in His time. Hang in there. I have witnessed so many miracles in this group -- I will be praying that the next one is yours!
Sarah
I am SO sorry! I am sure you just want to go to Ethiopia to fix it all right now......don't you wish that was possible!!! We have seen God move so many mountains already, He can do it again!!
You will be in my prayers! Thinking of you so much!
Michelle
Sometimes the faith of a child would ask why. Sometimes God waits for us to ask why so that he can begin to reveal for us just a piece of a plan so awesome we can't handle it all now. Thanks so much for your very vulnerable and heartfelt post. There was a lot of wisdom writen here. Wisdom we all need. Thanks
Bethany
I am so sorry that you are going through this right know. I pray that God will give strength and comfort to both you and Brian as you wait. I will pray that you get the next miracle in this group. We have seen this week how God can "move mountains". I listen everyday to the song "Mighty to Save" because it gives me strength during the wait. I have dubbed it my adoption song. Please let me know if there is anything you need, even you just want to email/call to vent.
sorry to hear...praying for you and Elias!
Oh Autumn- My heart is heavy for you!!! I was just hoping that the rest of this process would be "perfect".... and it is in God's planning, just not in how you thought/hoped it would be. So, now we pray (continue to pray) to our Awesome and Mighty God to continue to work in Ethiopia to bring the children home to their waiting families! Mountains will be moved for Elias!!!!
Autumn, you poor thing, it is so hard to wait! I'm so sorry this delay snuck up on you. I'm praying for you right now for the Lord's gracious peace to settle on you and for the strength to endure through this yucky waiting time with joy and calm. Elias is in the best of hands, God the Father's, but I know that's only a measure of comfort when you're aching for him to be in yours. Know that I'll continue to keep you in prayer. I'm so sorry. Praying that the Lord works it out for you miraculously sooner than you think would be possible!
I am glad you were so honest with everyone about what has happened. You can never have too many people praying for you!! May God's will be done and may you find peace as you wait on Him to reveal His perfect plan to you. My "sisters" are at the top of my list!
thanks for your honesty and letting us into the heartache and frustration with you.
I'm so sorry for the extra wait Autumn. :( I will pray for peace and for the paperwork to get done FAST.
Autumn,
Ok first of all....that was an awesome combo of food for the broken hearted. Tater tots have always been a favorite of mine:) Second, you're going to make it through this. This really stinks and you described the sense of total desperation perfectly. I remember just falling on my knees in prayer and feeling so broken (well put). God is with you and you will get your sweet little man in your arms. It's just a matter of getting things straightened out. I would love to get a photo of your sweet Elias, so send me your info.
oh, i relate so much to your post. there was a time in our process where i was seriously BROKEN. i withdrew, i over ate, i over thought, i cried, i was manic. i wanted to be of great faith, and i wanted to trust, and i wanted to surrender to my Lord. my head knew all these things, but my heart was truly aching. I just REALLY understand.
i think, first, that simply by trying to find God in the hard things is the right move. we have a choice in our disappointment to turn towards Him, or to turn away. Second, we have seen God work miracles--the list serve--Sharon & me, Michelle & Jana . . . we have seen God move mountains and make His children come home to their forever families. I will pray for you that a miracle will happen for you as well. Third, I think, inasmuch as it is hard, reaching out like you're doing is the courageous thing to do--we WANT to be there for you. we WANT to encourage you and cheer you on and pray for you. I'm so glad you are reaching out and sharing your brokenness, even though it hurts.
praying for you,
karen
Wow, Autumn, what heartache. Thanks for being real about your heart. Those scriptures are God-breathed, his true words spoken for your ears and heart. I am so praying for you to be comforted and for that stinking paperwork to get fixed up good and fast. Psalm 3:5 "In the morning I lay may requests before you, and wait in expectation."
I am expecting him to do something about this! I can't wait to see what it is.
Autumn, I am so sorry to hear this news!! I know it is so hard to wait (it's been over 4 months since our referral now). You just want to hold him in your arms and at the same time throttle who and what is causing this delay. I will pray for you as you wait. I'll pray that the time flies and that Elias' file is completed quickly.
Autumn-have faith in Him knowing that there is a reason for this timing. Only time will reveal what that is. Until then, know you are surrounded by so many who love you and are praying for you an Brian. My heart is broken with yours for Elias. He will not leave my thoughts until you have him home in your arms.
Melissa
Sweetie I am so sorry. This just sucks. Why does adoption have to be soooo hard? It is such a gift and a blessing yet the road can be so tough to travel. I truly hope they get moving and fix the paper work, Elias needs to come home to his Mommy and Daddy! I will pray and pray some more for you! I am going to email ya. (((((HUGS)))
Post a Comment