I was told what to expect when we receive our referral and briefly walked through what paperwork will need to be completed. Christy explained that there has been little movement on the boy's list and that she was sorry it was taking so long. We first heard from Shannon that we were unofficially #1 almost exactly 2 months ago. Wow. Sometimes it feels like we have been on this wait list our whole lives; other times it feels like the last two months went fairly quickly all things (like backtracking) considered. I had a tough question for Christy. I asked her if we were going to get a referral in our 6 month time frame (Oct 8th). She explained that she had no idea and that the only person who really has any information as to the status of paperwork and referrals is Almaz. I was reminded that the timelines are guidelines not guarantees. Not what I wanted to hear. I did find out a little more about the referral process which helped. I feel like the more I know the more understanding of this process I am. In some cases AGCI has to wait for the courts to send paperwork before they can make referrals, in other cases they are waiting on things like a birthparent signature, or something else that could still come during the court closure. Each child's case and paperwork are a little bit different. I really pressed Christy hard about the 6 month thing. I explained that I was very disappointed in the level of communication and if you have good reason to believe it is going to be 7 months or 8 months please tell me. She again reiterated that Almaz was the only one who could answer this question. Christy said Almaz would be meeting with them on September 12th and she would add to the agenda my question about the status of referrals. Christy then agreed to call me early the week of the 15th to let me know what was said. I asked her to please e-mail me instead so I know the next time I see her name on my phone I can get excited because it is the call. So basically, we should hear the middle of September if we can expect a referral by the beginning of October or if it will be 7+ months waiting for our referral. I am VERY grateful Christy is going to ask Almaz specifically about our referral and try to get a better idea of a timeframe for us, but this "no guarantee, it's just a guideline" was still not what I was hoping to hear today. I know I was dreaming but I was really hoping for an "absolutely, I will call you for sure in the next month." Apparently Brian and I still need this wait list in our lives so we can work on our patience. Luckily God knows exactly how much we can take before bottoming out.Wednesday, September 3, 2008
It's Official
We got our call and are officially #
I was told what to expect when we receive our referral and briefly walked through what paperwork will need to be completed. Christy explained that there has been little movement on the boy's list and that she was sorry it was taking so long. We first heard from Shannon that we were unofficially #1 almost exactly 2 months ago. Wow. Sometimes it feels like we have been on this wait list our whole lives; other times it feels like the last two months went fairly quickly all things (like backtracking) considered. I had a tough question for Christy. I asked her if we were going to get a referral in our 6 month time frame (Oct 8th). She explained that she had no idea and that the only person who really has any information as to the status of paperwork and referrals is Almaz. I was reminded that the timelines are guidelines not guarantees. Not what I wanted to hear. I did find out a little more about the referral process which helped. I feel like the more I know the more understanding of this process I am. In some cases AGCI has to wait for the courts to send paperwork before they can make referrals, in other cases they are waiting on things like a birthparent signature, or something else that could still come during the court closure. Each child's case and paperwork are a little bit different. I really pressed Christy hard about the 6 month thing. I explained that I was very disappointed in the level of communication and if you have good reason to believe it is going to be 7 months or 8 months please tell me. She again reiterated that Almaz was the only one who could answer this question. Christy said Almaz would be meeting with them on September 12th and she would add to the agenda my question about the status of referrals. Christy then agreed to call me early the week of the 15th to let me know what was said. I asked her to please e-mail me instead so I know the next time I see her name on my phone I can get excited because it is the call. So basically, we should hear the middle of September if we can expect a referral by the beginning of October or if it will be 7+ months waiting for our referral. I am VERY grateful Christy is going to ask Almaz specifically about our referral and try to get a better idea of a timeframe for us, but this "no guarantee, it's just a guideline" was still not what I was hoping to hear today. I know I was dreaming but I was really hoping for an "absolutely, I will call you for sure in the next month." Apparently Brian and I still need this wait list in our lives so we can work on our patience. Luckily God knows exactly how much we can take before bottoming out.
I was told what to expect when we receive our referral and briefly walked through what paperwork will need to be completed. Christy explained that there has been little movement on the boy's list and that she was sorry it was taking so long. We first heard from Shannon that we were unofficially #1 almost exactly 2 months ago. Wow. Sometimes it feels like we have been on this wait list our whole lives; other times it feels like the last two months went fairly quickly all things (like backtracking) considered. I had a tough question for Christy. I asked her if we were going to get a referral in our 6 month time frame (Oct 8th). She explained that she had no idea and that the only person who really has any information as to the status of paperwork and referrals is Almaz. I was reminded that the timelines are guidelines not guarantees. Not what I wanted to hear. I did find out a little more about the referral process which helped. I feel like the more I know the more understanding of this process I am. In some cases AGCI has to wait for the courts to send paperwork before they can make referrals, in other cases they are waiting on things like a birthparent signature, or something else that could still come during the court closure. Each child's case and paperwork are a little bit different. I really pressed Christy hard about the 6 month thing. I explained that I was very disappointed in the level of communication and if you have good reason to believe it is going to be 7 months or 8 months please tell me. She again reiterated that Almaz was the only one who could answer this question. Christy said Almaz would be meeting with them on September 12th and she would add to the agenda my question about the status of referrals. Christy then agreed to call me early the week of the 15th to let me know what was said. I asked her to please e-mail me instead so I know the next time I see her name on my phone I can get excited because it is the call. So basically, we should hear the middle of September if we can expect a referral by the beginning of October or if it will be 7+ months waiting for our referral. I am VERY grateful Christy is going to ask Almaz specifically about our referral and try to get a better idea of a timeframe for us, but this "no guarantee, it's just a guideline" was still not what I was hoping to hear today. I know I was dreaming but I was really hoping for an "absolutely, I will call you for sure in the next month." Apparently Brian and I still need this wait list in our lives so we can work on our patience. Luckily God knows exactly how much we can take before bottoming out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
Well - I'm glad you got some more information. I can't even imagine your level of frustration at this point though. Hoping you hear some good news in a couple weeks.
so excited for you. hopefully this wait will be much shorter. i'll be checking in!
sarah
WOO HOOOOOO!!! This is why you should never pray for patience, my dear... because you'll end up waiting and waiting and waiting...
I'm just kidding. SO excited for you! Hopefully it'll be any day now!
just think how much more wonderful it will be when you do get your referral. you will have worked and waited for it for so long it will seem like the best day in the world! p.s. if you adopt from foster care, the wait is much shorter. we only waited 2 months and it took only 9 months from when we started the process.
just had to throw that in there because i am an advocate for foster care adoption :)
That's great that you're now officially #1! Hopefully you'll find out more after Christy talks to Almaz. God is perfect in his timing and I'll continue to pray for you in this waiting - I can't imagine what it must be like to be at #1 and knowing it could come any day, but not to hear anything. You're doing a great job!!
Kristin
It's totally understandable that you're really sad about this wait. I know there were times when it seemed for sure you'd have that baby by now. The let down from those hopefull expectations is a real bummer. Unfortunately adoption is so unpredictable that it can be very hard on your heart. Try not to let your disappointment distract you from all the fun and excitment preparing for your little boy's arrival.
Erin
Hello Autumn...just got our monthly call today and we are back at 3 (though this is no surprise :) ) I am praying for you and know that I am right in the thick of it with you! God Bless! Shannon
You guys are in the hardest spot. #1 is awesome, but the anticipation and the excitement that comes every time your phone rings is too much. You may not think so, but you are handling it beautifully! I am praying for your little man.
Amy
Yeah for #1. Can't wait to see you guys get your referrel..this was a good month for #'s we moved up two places to #19.
Renee
Thanks for the comment you left..I hope you guys have a short stay at #1 can't wait until I read that you have a referral. It would not have been pretty if she didnt leave that # on the voicemail. The problem with having an agency on the opposite coast the time difference is killer when you are waiting on information. I would have had to wait until about noon my time to call them today.
Wow, #1..that's awesome!!! We're #23 and are so excited. Praying for you guys, Kristi
i'm glad you learned a little bit more information. i really can appreciate your frustration. it was very difficult for me during our delay, because there were no concrete answers, or even reassuring comments. there was lots of empathy, but what i wanted was something to hold onto, some parameter or word that would be a marker for when it would be over. it was 'im sorry' and 'i dont know' and 'i can't say for sure.' but Autumn, it IS true that the waiting was by far the hardest most faith-testing experience we've had in the last 5 years, and I was on my knees more during that time than imaginable. I think of you SOOOOOO much.
hey-I am praying for you guys every day-so awesome how God puts folks together who have never "met" but I feel the ache in your hearts as if it were my own so I am honoredto plead w/ the Father on your behalf that you get THAT CALL so very soon-this must be some pretty special boy He's getting ready for y'all b/c He's taking extra time to get him just right for his parents!!
Ahhhhh--officially #1---finally and congratulations! Can't wait to hear when that call comes through....
My dear friend is ar #1 on another list (non-AGCI) and has been forever. She said it is harder than any other number!! I am thinking about you!!!
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just think....You will have your referral by the time I travel and I can give your baby boy some love from you and take LOTS of pictures for you!!!!! That has to be the BEST gift to give a waiting mother.
I can't wait to hear that you got your referral!!!!!!!!!!!!
Michelle
I am sorry you are having to wait AT number one for soooooo long. I think that must be harder then any other number~I really feel like your baby has got to be coming very soon..once courts open things HAVE to get moving for baby boys. I think too that having Christy email you is brillant! I did the same thing when we were adopting from Guatemala. I had 2 Kick outs of court and I knew that I would either be hearing from my agency telling me we were OUT and my baby was coming home or that we were Kicked out of pgn again :( I KNEW I was going to lose it and really have a break down if we did get another ko...so I told my agency DO NOT CALL me for anything except to tell me we are OUT. Email all other news and I will call you if I have to. I couldnt take getting so happy just to crash again. So long story short I know how you feel :) HUGS !!! Maria
we are using chi and have been really happy so far. we are almost done with our home study so we haven't been with them very long. but so far, so good. i saw a few days ago you're #1! yeah! can't wait for you to get your call:)
feel free to email me anytime.
grace2lilly@gmail.com
Post a Comment