Monday, September 15, 2008

SURPRISE - SPECIAL DELIVERY FROM ETHIOPIA!!

At 3:45 this afternoon I got an e-mail from Christy saying she would call me in the next half hour. As you may remember from my previous post Christy was having a conversation with Almaz about when we could expect our referral and said she would e-mail me today to let me know she was calling me about that conversation. Her e-mail said she wanted to discuss with me what Almaz had said.

I didn't want to be in the bank during her call so I left work right away giving myself time for the work errands before her call. Ten minutes later at a dead stop on the freeway I hear my Beautiful Boy ringtone. Here's how the conversation went:

A: Hi Christy
C: Hey Autumn you sound like you are in the car. Can you talk?
A: Yeah I knew you were calling so I'm all hooked up with the wireless stuff.
C: Oh good, ok. I wanted to let you know how my conversation with Almaz went.
A: Ok, good.
C: I have a referral for you.
A:What? Are you serious? You have a referral for us? You are going to make me crash!
C: Well maybe you should pull over. (I think she said that because that is what I responded to. If she didn't say that then I must have just sounded like a crazy person).
A: I'm stuck on the freeway. Um, ok. Wow. I need to call Brian. What time are you leaving the office?
C: 4:30.
A: Oh wow. Ok. Um, I will call him right now and call you back. Bye!

I always thought I would cry. I thought it would be a mad dash for the phone when I heard the ringtone. Instead I was expecting the call and anticipating a conversation talking about when we would get a referral. It didn't happen like I always imagined. Instead Christy had me completely faked out and I was so shocked I didn't even cry or yell or anything.

I called Brian who was on his way to the driving range with my youngest brother.

A: Are you ready to be a Dad today?
B: Am I ready to be a Dad today? (confused tone).
A: Yeah I just got off the phone with Christy and she has a referral for us. So get in the car and hurry up we only have a half hour to call her back.
B: Are you serious? Oh my gosh. Ok, Alex is going to be mad.
A: Just make him come with you. He'll get over it. This is more important.
B: Ok. ok.

(I am happy to report that in fact, Alex wasn't mad and said he is excited to be an uncle.) I then called my Mom, Dad, and sister. Then I called Brian to make sure he was calling his family. He asked me to call his sister and said he would call his Mom, Dad, and brother. We had a plan that our families would all come over to our house and be with us when we opened the pictures. My mom was the first to arrive. Then came Brian and my sister. As he walked in the door and I was nagging about having to call her back NOW Christy called again. It was 4:27. Whew!

We answered the call on speakerphone while my Mom and sister videotaped and took pictures. We were thrilled to hear all about our son. All the things we have been anxiously waiting to hear - his name, his age, his history. We got to hear it all this afternoon.
As we hung up the phone with Christy in walked my Dad and brother. Then followed Grandma and Grandpa Gossett (as of TODAY!). We waited for Brian's sister who had a longer drive then the rest of us and then crowded into the bedroom to open the pictures. Here's what it looked like when we saw our son for the first time:Almost every picture he has some goofy expression. I immediately thought of Brian and his expressiveness. He also has the wrinkly baby that looks like an old man look which made the rest of my family think of my brother Jake when he was a baby.
We all loved looking at the pictures together and being able to put a face and name to the little boy who has been in our hearts for so many months.

We then celebrated with a toast and dinner!
I always pictured today being so much more emotional than it has felt but I still think I'm in a state of shock. I have a feeling it won't be long before the shock and adrenaline are gone and the anticipation and joy of being a new Mom is all that is left.

Brian's Thoughts: While Autumn has done such an incredible job describing today's events as she has done all along with the blog, I am excited to share my thoughts on this incredible moment. We had anticipated this day for so long and gone week after week thinking, "Oh it will be this day or that day," that by the time we got the call today it was so out of the blue it was almost like we were going into labor 2 weeks sooner than expected. After I had received the call from Autumn and learned the day had finally arrived that we'd see our son for the first time I had to drive about twenty very nervous minutes to meet up with her it almost felt as if I was driving to the hospital where my wife was giving birth. As our son's history and physical were being relayed to us over the phone I couldn't help but smile the entire time. I too thought I'd be more emotional than I was. I did have to fight off a tear when it was explained what his name meant (to be revealed at a later time). He truly is a gift from God! It was great to share this moment with our family. It was so fun showing both sets of grandparents the new addition to our family. What a moment of excitement that is still making my head spin and heart pound! I am so anxious for the next step, the step of holding him in my arms - then I will really feel like daddy.

We aren't able to share any information about our son until we have passed courts and he is legally ours. This includes name and photos. We will be able to share this information with all of you when we travel (most likely, December or January).

32 comments:

christa said...

Oh my God! I had a gut feeling when I opened this site earlier today that something would be new...but there wasn't. Then, my night owl habits got the best of me and I decided to check in again...and I started tearing up for you guys! Congratulations!

What a WONDERFUL way to end my night. I am soooo happy that you've now got your baby boy! I can't wait to see all the positive progress that will come after this! Wow...the amount of love this child has waiting for him is amazing and the amount of love I am sure he will have for all of you will be worth every minute of this journey and more!

My heart is flowing over for you!!!

Melissa said...

Oh Autumn! I am so excited for you and Brian! Congratulations on your new addition to your family. What a lucky little boy he is to have a mama and daddy ready to share so much love. This is the most fantastic news! Thank you for sharing this special moment with all of us in your cyber family--I could not be more thrilled for you. Yay, yay, yay!

Celebrate, enjoy, prepare and praise God for this little miracle that is all yours!

Melissa

Matt and Emily said...

I am so excited for you both!! I can't believe it is so soon. I really thought it would be after the courts opened. You could have him home in time for christmas!!! Praise God!!

Ms. Sarah Sullivan said...

oh, i am so happy for you both! it sounds as if it really is like giving birth:) painful and exciting at the same time! i can't wait to hear all about your baby boy and when you'll be traveling. makes me so anxious to get our baby boy referrel!

Troy said...

Congratulations guys! So very cool ... standing in the gap is never fun but God's timing is always perfect and He prevails and shines upon us in a way we could never imagine!

jody said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!so, here i am sitting at my computer boo hoo-ing for y'all, for real. I said to my hubby, "Brian and Autumn finally got their referral!" and he was like "who?" and I thought about the funny bloggy world where I cry for people I have not yet "met" when they get their beautiful baby. God is GOOD!!!! I am so happy for you guys!!!!!!!!!

Dawn said...

CONGRATULATIONS AUTUMN & BRIAN!!! This sure has been a long time coming!!! I am bawling! You finally have your referral. I am so so so so happy for you.

Michael and Michelle said...

I woke up this morning to your GREAT email!!! I started crying! I am just so excited!
Michelle

Our journey said...

Congratulations Mommy and Daddy! I am crying again. So happy for you guys! Now, let's pray that little guy home by Christmas!

Amy

Unknown said...

I'm so happy for you both! Congratulations Mom and Dad (and Grandma, Grandpa, Aunts, Uncles, etc.)! Yay for all of you!

The hair on my neck stood up when I read this--I am way too excited!

Maria and Family said...

SO SO SO SO SO SO HAPPY for you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations Mommy and Daddy!!!! I love the way you shared this awesome moment with you family. Way cool :)
Maria

Renee said...

Congrats on this wonderful day..I havent known you long but i'm super excited that you should have your boy home by christmas. I hope this is followed by a flood of boy referrels so everyone can move on up that list. Oddly we started our journey a head of you and are ways behind you now..Lets pray that boy home. Will you keep his name or have you chosen a new name for him?? And when do we get to see the nursery pics?

The Redman's said...

Oh wow!!!! I've been checking daily!!!!!!! I was hoping that after Almaz's visit to AGCI, that some referrals would be happening... especially for you guys!!!!! What an amazing day for you, and I CAN'T WAIT to see pictures. (we had a very wrinkly 7 week old referral picture too!!! :))

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

Jana said...

ACKKKKKKKKKK! The screen couldn't open up soon enough, so excited for you guys. How wonderful! What a surprise!! Could our little Elias meet another Elias some day??? Have a fantastic day glowing in this wonderful news.

cb4swife said...

OH MY!!!! I actually saw Amy's post first...she was listed on my reader before you and it took a few seconds to sink in...I raced over to your blog...I got all teary eyed too...I am so excited for you and Brian! CONGRATS!!!! Thank you God for this little boy! This has made my day...Shannon P.S. It was great reading Brian's thought too.

J-momma said...

Congrats!

Three2Five said...

WOW!
I guess by you won't be waiting long it was actually days (in human years!) I am so excited! I know I am the 16th person to post but I am crying tears of joy and anticipation for you! All I can say is, boy you had some wicked labor but what a sweet boy!
Congrats Autumn and Brian...I can't wait to meet him in person the day you pick him up!

Laurzie said...

HOORAYYYYY! Oh, I'm so excited for you! Congratulations, Mommy! Praise the Lord!

Blog Shmog said...

Wow!! That is so exciting! And so unexpected! :) What an incredible surprise! A HUGE congrats to you guys. Can't wait to see his cute wrinkly face. :)

The Gresham Clan said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I've been checking and checking to finally see this wonderful post. I am so thrilled for your family and the gift God has for you in your beautiful son!

Kristin

PS - I have all sorts of travel lists, etc. if you want them. Just let me know and I'll email them to you :)! Congratulations again!!

D said...

Wow! I found your blog thru a friend of a friend's and have anxiously (although not as anxiously as you two) be awaiting you referral. Congrats! I cannot wait to hear all about him in the future!

UNC NICU RN

A Team said...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PRECIOUS!

Congrats!

Looks like you have some amazing people in your life!!! (those celebrating with you).

I am so excited for you!!!!!
Tracie (www.tnateam.blogspot.com)

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! I AM SOOO EXCITED AND HAPPY FOR YOU!!! I LOVE this news!!! SOOOO wonderful!!

Sarah said...

Oh yes! I knew today would be the day! I am so excited! Praise the Lord!

Sarah

PS Did I mention that I knew today would be the day?? Ha!

Leann said...

Congratulations!!! We got our referral on July 2. We will definitely take pictures when we travel. Just e-mail me his name and a picture and I'll snap some pics and video!!

Outdrsycple said...

It feels so great to be #6, but I have to say I was SOO excited for you guys. I felt like it was my best friend getting the referral. Are you sharing pictures? I'd love to see him, if you feel comfortable you can leave a comment on my blog and I'll give you my email if you don't have it already. If not I understand too. Is it sinking in yet?

Michael and Michelle said...

How are you feeling now!!! Still on cloud nine!!!

Michelle

Clark and Sarah said...

Oh my gosh! I am so excited for you guys. I have kept checking back because I have been praying that it would be this week! Praise God. Can you say how old he is?

Phronsie said...

Wow!! YAY!!! Congrats! I'm so excited for you!!! Eeeeee!

Michelle Riggs said...

Congrats I am so happy for you. I can't wait until you can post pictures.

Thanks for praying for Abby.

Kristi J said...

congrats guys!!! What a great post about how it happened!!! I can't wait to see him, Kristi J

JonesEthiopia said...

Congrats! I am so happy for you. You will be holding your son soon, and all the waiting will be SO worth it!