Friday, September 12, 2008

These Are a Few of My NEW Favorite Things...

Well not really. I got these things for my birthday three months ago but my blog is getting boring so I was desperate!This first item is from TOMS Shoes. It's a FEED Project bag. The purchase of this bag provided meals for a child for an entire school year. I thought it was super cute and asked for it for a birthday present. I also was thinking it was a small tote. Nope, it's HUGE. I think it will be a perfect carry on bag though.This necklace says Expecting From Africa. I LOVE it. This too was a birthday present. I ordered this from Etsy: Junk Posse. On the back I had a verse written: 1 Samuel 1:27-28. "For this child I prayed, and the Lord has given me what I asked of Him. So I have also dedicated him to the Lord; as long as he lives he is dedicated to the Lord." I chose this verse because I am confident that this period of "expecting" will end with the child who we have been praying for.

One fun conversation about this necklace happened when I was at the printing shop getting new stationary for work. The lady looked closely at my necklace and said "Expecting from Africa, what does that mean? Is this some new organization I haven't heard of?" I said, "No, it means we are expecting a baby from Africa." Blank stare. "We're adopting." Lightbulb moment. "Oh, wow!" What followed was a game of 20 questions. What country? Why? Boy or girl? Why? What age? Why? What agency? What countries does your agency work with? Is this your first? How much longer? Why?

I was caught off guard because this complete stranger was hands down the person who expressed the most outward excitment and curiousity about our adoption. Then came the part every adoptive parent will inwardly cringe at - "I always considered adoption. I mean I got married when I was 40 so I always thought I would have to adopt but then I got pregnant." Are you serious? Adoption is not a PLAN B. Some people just don't think about what they are saying do they? At least this lady wasn't thinking about what she was saying because she was so overwhelmed by excitment for me so that made it a little easier to smile and keep quiet. She told me what we were doing was so wonderful and our child would be so lucky. I responded with "we are the ones who are blessed." Yep, I've been practicing that one since our parenting classes! As I was leaving she said she was so happy for me and she was going to look into adoption again. I hope she does.

Even though things have been a little sad on the adoption front lately, I really do believe that we are the ones who are blessed in this process. Even though we don't have our baby yet I honestly can't imagine a more exciting and wonderful experience than adoption. I think everyone should consider it!!

10 comments:

Laurzie said...

COOL! I love your "favorite things". I think I'll have to put that Expecting from Africa necklace on my wish list. Nice.

I must say that you handled that conversation beautifully. If she does reconsider adoption, my oh my how her perspective will change! I'm so glad you got to water that seed. :)

Renee said...

Love your new fav things and can't wait to see you get that call. I think that woman didn't realize what she was saying could be hurtful but on the same token some of us were led to adoption because we couldnt have birth children. I don't like to call it a plan B because clearly it was god's plan for me to be a mommy thru adoption but as much as I embrace adoption just once i would like to be treated like a woman expecting a child. Sorry didn't mean to be a downer just having a bad day.

Michael and Michelle said...

I love your Favorite things!! Fun!! Your all has to happen soon!! Courts open in just a couple of weeks and things are going to really move. You WILL have your referral before we travel and I can take lots of cute photos for you!!!

Michelle

Three2Five said...

So I am asking for that necklass for Christams! I love it! Also I have more thoughts on the sling question. I was thinking maybe the Maya wrap or the Moby would be good since they are both sizeable. You have the option to make them tighter and more snug.
If you do get one of those I can always help you with it since WE WILL TRAVEL TOGETHER :)

Sarah said...

Nice to see you back on the blog! I've been worried about you! I have that necklace too; I asked for it for Mother's Day last year. My best comment came from a lady at Borders bookstore: "Expecting what??" I sooo badly wanted to say, "Why, a shipment of drugs, of course!" LOL Ah well. People are so interesting...and not always tactful.
I have our baby's middle and last name engraved on the back of my necklace. (We plan to keep her first name unless there's something significantly difficult about it.) But I like the verse you chose. Its beautiful!

October is coming fast!

Sarah
#18 girls list

Blog Shmog said...

I love that bag and have wanted it for a while now! It's on my wish list, as are a black pair of the new Tom's wrap boots!

I get the same thing said to me all the time. I think for the people that say things like that it really is plan B. But for the majority (actually all) of the people I know adopting it's plan A...thank goodness. Can't wait to hear good news from you!

Ms. Sarah Sullivan said...

Amen, sister!

Emily said...

I'm still waiting for your blog about how you and Brain met. I think people would really get a kick out of it!

cb4swife said...

I love the necklace too! We are almost half way through September...I don't think I have ever been so anxious for October before and I love the Fall season :) God Bless!

Kristi J said...

I love that necklace and so want one...my hubby owes me something for my b-day last week, so maybe I"ll ask for that...too cute...I can't wait to hear about your referral...praying for you guys, Kristi