Monday, September 22, 2008

Kick A$$ and Awesome

According to Aunti Em I had to title this blog post just as I have because this is exactly what she thinks the nursery is. Since she did a lot of the work with Brian and I, she gets to have her say for the title. What I was going for with our nursery was simple, or maybe not. I wanted bright colors but I definitely wanted it to have an ethnic/Ethiopian flare. I wanted our nursery to be completely unique. The pictures don't quite do justice to the brightness of the colors (the blue is a more tealy blue) but it will give you an idea. Here it is, the big reveal: Yes those are cheetah print sheets but it was a small enough amount that Brian allowed them into our son's room...The writing on the wall is 1 Samuel 1:27, "For this child I prayed and the Lord granted me what I asked." It is painted in Amharic. Emily and I did this on Friday night. At this point braggers might tell you it isn't as hard as it looks. Well, I'm all about being humble and truthful (ok so maybe me saying that reveals the truth :) ) so I will tell you it was in fact difficult. About 45 minutes into the logistics of it all I was beginning to question my own ability and whether or not my creative ideas are realistic. Luckily Emily kept reminding me it would look really cool when it was done. We worked through blood, sweat, and tears (ok maybe just sweat) and I am so glad we did.These pictures are authentic Ethiopian banana leaf art work. My Mom went to Ethiopia a couple weeks ago and brought back so much cool stuff for the nursery. Why was my Mom in Ethiopia you ask? Well getting things for my nursery was only a smaller side-mission (since she hates shopping more than ANYTHING), the real mission will be revealed in a future (soon) blog post.The mobile was a gift from Aunti Em. She bought it on her mission trip to Burundi in May. Brian thinks the birds are scary and will give our baby nightmares. I think the fact that it is hand-painted Burundian craftsmanship makes it awesome and it HAS to go in the nursery.This children's stool also made it back from Ethiopia.These fabric canvases are handmade by Brian, Emily and I. Yes, Brian crafted with me in between soccer games. Who would have thought? I guess having a baby brings all sort of surprises. I don't think I'll ever be able to get him to scrapbook though. We'll see, maybe one day he'll cross over to the dark side.This last one was inspired by Michelle's necklace.Notice the Ethiopian drum, Brian's favorite toy car, and the basket with both Brian and my first teddy bears. The giraffes are from (you guessed it)... Ethiopia.Here are pictures showing the details of the shelves. The figurines and painted bowl are from Ethiopia. The amharic coke can was purchased online because all during the olympics we just kept getting Thai cans (thanks, Em and Mom cause I'm pretty sure she used your credit card...).On this shelf again the figurine is from Ethiopia. The stringed platter is a Burundian instrument, and the elephant and giraffe are from (shhh, don't tell) Joanns. And yes the checker girl at Joanns told me she normally likes zebras but she didn't like this one cause its neck was so long. We had a good laugh at her expense. Who tells a customer that they think what they are purchasing is ugly anyway? Geesh.

And here is the hard working crew after a frustrating turned fun night of painting Amharic on a nursery wall. And yes we had a milkshake break to keep us motivated.

So, in conclusion, I would like to once again thank the parents for the beautiful furniture, Mimi for all the awesome stuff from Ethiopia, Aunti Em for the birds that scare Brian and also for helping make our nursery...Kick A$$ and Awesome! Colorful, Ethiopian influenced, unique nursery...CHECK! Now all we need is our baby...

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely perfect! Love Mimi

Emily said...

I'm glad you title this blog exactly what the nursery is...Kick A$$ and Awesome. You are lucky that I got the bird mobile and not the naked lady one!

Dawn said...

Oh my goodness Autumn - it's gorgeous! I LOVE it...we definitely have similar taste. You did an AMAZING job!! I might have to steal your idea with the amharic on the wall!

Phronsie said...

What a beautifully done nursery! It's amazing and the words you painstakingly did across the top look great!

christa said...

Autumn! This is beautiful! You and Em did a wonderful job! I love that you've brought so much of Baby Gossett's culture into the room; that's something that I'm sure he will appreciate sooo much as he grows older!

Congrats on getting a big part of the prep. done, and done beautifully!

Troy said...

That's awesome ... although I think I may have to block your site from Amber's computer because she may get too many new ideas! :) The writing on the wall had already been discussed but I thought I had her talked into a couple "P. Graham Dunn" items but now can see that all changing when she sees this ( = more work for me). Thanks a lot! j/k

Michael and Michelle said...

Autumn it's wonderful!!!! What a GREAT room for you Ethiopian Prince!
I can't wait to hear why your mom was in Ethiopia:) I will be checking your blog many times!!!
I am so excited for you guys!!! I can't wait to see a family picture in front of the Christmas tree!!!
Michelle

Melissa said...

AWESOME JOB!!! Love that room. Want to move in myself! Such thought and love--very cool.
Melissa

Ms. Sarah Sullivan said...

love it! where did you get the amharic stencil? (i'm assuming you used one and didn't freehand, right?) i'd love to do that in our nursery too.

cb4swife said...

It is wonderful! I echo what someone already said...you are so thoughtful! I did chuckle at the mobile conversation with your hubby...CB and I have had similar conversations...him questioning why I am decorating with something and me telling him that it has much significance and is essential to my overall theme...he usually wonders how something will serve us practically and I try to convince him that the effect and ambiance is more important. btw...I love the mobile :) Can't wait to see a Sorry thsi got so long. God Bless....Shannon

jody said...

Beautiful!! ANd those stinking Coke cans-I cannot tell you how many times we got those Thai cans and we checked EVERY. SINGLE. BOX in every single sore every time we went-finally a friend randomly got Ethiopia ones in a box and gave it to me-whee! we are going to cut the ends off and flatten the can and frame it. The Amharic Bible verse is just awesome-you guys did a great job!! (and I have that necklace with the elephants on it, too :) )

Renee said...

Wow Awesome nursery...And to think that ours will be a somewhat commen sports theme. I do hope to buy some items while we are in ethiopia to have in our house and to give our child as gifts thru out his life but you've truly started the gift of heritage right from the beginning with the nursery..I have to ask how the stool got home..I love it.

Clark and Sarah said...

That is a freakn awesome room! It is the coolest baby room that I have seen yet. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!! LOVE all the personal touches and the Ethiopian heritage!! SOOOOOO awesome!! I am SOOOOO jealous!!

Blog Shmog said...

Holy cow! That is an awesome nursery for sure. Good job! I love it!

Anonymous said...

I LOOOOVEEEE the nursery. Congratulations on your baby boy. Did you did the Africa map and the chosen picture or did you buy it? Which is the material? Please let me know. I love it. Thanks

J-momma said...

beautiful! i love the original art canvases. i wouldn't even know how to start making something like that. major props!

Our journey said...

What a perfect room for you little man! So exciting you finally have a little boy to use it. Have fun dreaming of his sweet, smiling face looking up at you from the crib.

Amy

Unknown said...

emily described it perfectly. you guys did a great job!

Leann said...

LOVE IT!!! That is absolutely gorgeous!!

Three2Five said...

Good job! Very good job.

nell ann said...

Sheesh. And I was excited about ours. You just put every other nursery to shame. Well done!!!

Soon you'll have a little baby to put in it! Yay!!!

Jana said...

Autumn! So spectacular! Truly a labor of love, great job!