MIMI and PAPI
Mimi and Papi are also known as Mom and Dad (although their most distinguished title is that of "Autumn's parents"). Mimi was not always so certain she wanted to be a Mimi. In fact, since Brian and I made the announcement to our parents late last November that we will be adopting, my mom was on a mission to find the perfect replacement name for "grandma"- because she doesn't look like a grandma you know. After many months of asking everyone what they refer to their grandma as, she heard the name Mimi. The suggestion of this name came from a recent Belgian exchange chaperon who was staying with my parents. It is Flemish for grandma. She liked it and it has now stuck for a couple weeks! Mimi feels so confident in her selection that I was informed it could now be announced to the entire blog world.
Papi was a much easier decision. In fact, it was only because I said I couldn't blog about "Mimi and Grandpa" because they just don't go, that my Dad decided on Papi. There was a brief discussion that went something like this:Mimi: Chuck, pick a name.
Papi: Your not supposed to pick a name. Your name becomes whatever the first grandchild refers to you as.
Mimi: Yeah but you have to refer to yourself as something. You can teach them to call you whatever you want.
Papi: Fine. Then since we are so close to the Mexican border, how about Papi?
Mimi: Mimi and Papi, that sounds good together. How do you spell Papi?
Everyone: 5 minute long discussion about the many ways to spell Papi (pronounced Poppy)which ended in Emily and I using an online Spanish/English dictionary.
And that is the story of how Mimi and Papi came to be.
14 comments:
Great blog. I'm sure Dad, sorry Papi, will appreciate it.
This is so funny!! I love Mimi! Totally cute!
I bet when all these travel calls are made and done it will be your turn. You, Jana and I will totally be traveling together!!!!!
Michelle
Mimi is such a great name! I have a Poppy, too, so I'm already partial to that name. :)
Nice update Autumn! Your dad is right, though, it is hard to pick a name because that girst grandchild may creat his own version. My mom wanted to be Granny for as long as I can remember and now, four grandchildren deep, she is GiGi. All that to say--I love the name Mimi--it was my great grandmother's name and she was from France!
Your phone will be ringing soon. I can hear it!
Melissa
I love Mimi my mos friend is a mimi!! I have always love Papi!!! So that is what my dad is also(I already have a niece)My mom is get ready"bubbles" she is such a bubely person ans one night I said it and it stayed well for now until my niece starts talking(she is 8 months)My mother in law is going to be "honey" she has blond hair and its really fits her our neighbors call their granmother "honey" and its so cute!!! I think your parents manes a perfect!!!!On the to the #1 topic I really have a feeling you will be seeing your boy by next Thursday!!!!! Though I should tell you, now I could be way wrong but I have been praying for you guys and thats what I have felt can't wait to hear!!!!
LOL! I love your dad! He's so right, but so's Mimi... :)
Fun post...Praying for you...Shannon
So cute!! Do I get to pick a name for myself??
Okay I have been to alot of blogs!!! Your blog roll is so incredibly updated and detailed. How do you know where all these families are in the process? I can't even keep up with where I am. So I had to tell you....WOW! I may have to steal some of your info for my blog!!! :) I hope your week gets better.
What cuties! I love the dialogue. Praying for you my friend!
A
Autumn,
I am so thrilled to report that I saw your son at HH. I don't know which boy is yours, but he is there! Soon he will be in your arms and you will be saying that you can't believe it happened so fast.
Sharon
Any updates yet???? I can't wait to hear what AGCI has to tell you!!
Michelle
I just read Sharon's comment.....Oh my....you are totally getting a call so soon!!!! I think that last travel calls went out today!!!!! Once they are done with travel calls....nothing else to do but give our little boy referrals!!!!!!!
I am expecting an email this week!!!!
Also, I am expecting Jana, you, me, and a few other great couples to be traveling together in Oct. (I Hope) or Nov.!!!!
We are totally going together!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear about your referral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This just has to be your week!!!
Michelle
can you tell that I'm really excited????
Sooo my mother and father n' law picked grandma and grandpa (original I know) and When Wes got old enough to talk he could only say Uma and Pampa so there it is. The five other grandbabies call my parents Nana and Papa and then Wes came along and called them Nani and Papi..Too Cute
Post a Comment