Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Bummed!

After a morning of pins and needles we heard the news we were hoping and praying we wouldn't hear. The orignial of the needed document did not arrive in time for the court date and the judge did not accept the faxed copy. My parent's have a rescheduled court date of late January in which the judge needs to see the original document. Estimated travel is now late February. We are all bummed for a number of reasons. First of all we want the boys here! Secondly, my parents were really hoping to see Emily shortly after Christmas. It's hard to tell if she is getting homesick, but we certainly all do miss her and the holidays will be difficult.

Brian and I are trucking along in our wait. We are approaching 3 months since our referral. I used to think counting the numbers waiting to see a face was the hardest part. Not any more. When we got our referral of Elias I felt such relief - like everything we had been waiting for had finally come. That cloud 9 feeling lasted for about a month. Now each day just gets more and more difficult. I struggle with feelings of jealousy and self-pity. I find myself comparing our timeline to that of others. I question, why us? Why did the referrals stop in the summer leaving us right at the top? Why did we have to sit at the emotionally draining #1 spot for so long? Why did tons of referrals happen right after we got ours (meaning we waited way longer than the people who got referrals days after us)? Why did the paperwork issue which put us 2 months "behind" and "sometimes just happens," happen to us? Why does no one else in our agency have a court date as late as ours? Why? Why? Why?

When I spend time in the "why me" place I feel beat up. Each blog I read or court date I see feels like a slap in the face. I have found I really hate the self-pitying, jealous version of myself (so no need to lecture me...really). I feel guilty feeling this way when I think of others who have had more trying circumstances within their adoption, like Shannon, or a longer wait from referral to travel, like Leann. My blog is an outlet and a place of reflection, unfortunately, sometimes the reflection shows an ugly heart full of jealousy and anger. One thing I have not learned is patience. You may hear me say "all in God's timing." I believe that. I believe that God has the perfect reason and answers to all of my "why" questions. I am not patient though. My little boy is in Ethiopia. He's getting bigger without me, being loved on by people other than me, learning to get by without me. Truth is, I am waiting because I have no other choice NOT because I am a wonderfully mature Christian who truly desires nothing more than God's perfect timing. I do want God's perfect timing. In my selfish desire to have my son with me, I also wish God did things my way in my time.

We don't always get answers to our "why" questions. Sometimes though God gives us answers even though he doesn't owe them to us. Throughout this adoption I have already had the priviledge of having some of my "whys" answered. When we started the process I prayed very specifically for a referral by my birthday (June 11th), court by Brian's birthday (July 29th) and travel by our anniversary (August 14th). For the first 5 months that timeline seemed perfectly reasonable. When my birthday, then Brian's birthday, then our anniversary passed and still no referral I wondered why. When we got that call on September 15th, God answered my question even though my lack of faith did not deserve an answer. Elias was born on July 22nd and I am the one God has chosen to be his Mom. Although I don't know if I will ever see the rest of the divine plan in our timeline, I am confident there is one. Faith - being confident of something you cannot see. I've sort of coined a little motto. My personal adoption motto so to speak. It isn't the wisest thing you have ever heard but it is my way of combating the jealousy and frustration while allowing myself to validate my feelings yet remain hopeful and confident. Life isn't fair but God is sovereign.

Although we can't see God's reason for my parents not passing court we remain confident that God is sovereign and His perfect plan will succeed. Although we don't know why our adoption has panned out step by step as it has, we remain confident that God is sovereign and His perfect plan will succeed. 11 months! We are ready Lord! Right now, faith is all we have.

9 comments:

Our journey said...

Thank you for your honesty. It is hard to admit that our hearts are not always beautiful and it takes courage and self-awareness to see these things in ourselves.

This would all be a lot easier if we were privy to all that God knows. To fully understand His plan. He asks us to trust in Him though...trust in His goodness, trust in the fact that He loves our children more than we do.

Praying for the 31st and the hope of a new year full of Elias.

Sarah said...

I don't know what to say, Autumn. I have been where you are, but in different circumstances, and I know there is not much anyone can say that really helps.
You and Angela and Shannon and Leann are all on my heart.
Psalm 103 is my Psalm of choice -- it helps me remember what God has brought me through, a reminder of how He will work things out for good for those who love Him (Romans?).

HUGE hugs for you,

Sarah

Anonymous said...

i think if i was in your position i would feel the same way. it hurts getting skipped. longing hurts. trying to trust God in the process, but being puzzled with why. bewilderment. feeling like things are on hold--like the movement of time is sooooo slow. feeling guilty for being 'not at peace', but wanting to be honest with God about being disappointed. I really clung to the Psalms through our adoption. I think of you Autumn, and pray for you. Its rough and hard and poopie.

jody said...

i am so sorry-and all I can say is that God loves the crap out of you.

just wanted to remind you :)

Laurzie said...

WOW, that is so tough! It hurts to wait and get pushed back further and further. I'm so sorry! But, you're right, the Lord is Sovereign and HE is in control! Praise God for that!

cb4swife said...

I am so sorry for you whole family. Thanks for your kind words...but this has been hard for you too! I am having a rough day myself today. But I love your motto...I am going to steal it :) Here's to 12/31 and 1/1... Please Dear Lord let us pass :) Love Shannon

Chris and Jana said...

Autumn, we're praying for you guys as well as your soon-to-be brothers! Thank you for your honesty; it is good to know others go through the roller-coaster of emotions that seem to accompany adoption!

Jana
p.s. We're officially #23 on the girls list now!

Maria and Family said...

Waiting to hold your baby stinks. Period. YOU want to be the one lovin on and caring for your baby. I understand your feelings of frustration with the process. It is hard, and you are right, it aint fair :) HUGS!!!! I am bummed too for your brothers..prayers for them to pass next time around. Maria

nell ann said...

Autumn, Thanks for being such a light for Christ even in your darkest times. This is how we know that we are growing in Him and in His likeness. It is so encouraging that you are bold enough to share; to voice the thoughts we (all have and) hate to think.

Thank you. Continue to cling to God's word and His perfect promises. The day you hold Elias will be the perfect time!

Praying for a smooth court date! Smooth and positive.