This is how I remember Brian back then. Cute but way too old for crush consideration. We were around each other at youth group events (like summer camp) but the memories of our interactions are few and far between. Brian swears one time I drove in his car home from Forrest Home. He remembers this because of how car sick I got. Lovely, right? I have no recollection of this event, but probably true knowing how well I do on mountain roads. Then, I remember one of the beach days we went to. I drove back with Brian and actually somehow got to sit in the front seat (he doesn't remember). We chatted the whole way from the beach to the church. Dumb conversation really about him preferring to drive barefoot rather than in flip flops yet somehow he made such an impression that he made it into my journal that night. Yep, that was the first time I recognized how nice Brian was and wrote all about him and his "niceness."
Here's Brian at my 16th birthday party. Don't give him too much of a hard time about the outfit. It was a luau themed event.
The next memory that sticks out about Brian is when he was part of plan that involved me sneaking into my first rated R movie. I don't know if it was Lori's first time sneaking into a R movie or not but we were definitely both not 17. We went to see Billy Elliott. On the drive home Kevin gave me the synopsis of another movie currently out in theaters which would not include my need illegally sneak in. We had the perfect story just in case my parents asked about what movie we saw. I'm too old to get in trouble right, Mom?
Brian moved to Washington DC to do a semester exchange at American University. Apparently there was a whole going away event for him. I would have been there but don't recall any of it. The only memory of him I have during that time was a conversation I had with his brother. Kevin and I were talking after church and he was asking me what I was interested in studying in college. I told him I really wanted to study International Relations and maybe one day work in embassies all over the world. Kevin told me that was what Brian was interested in and the kind of stuff he was doing in DC. That was the first time I realized maybe I had a crush on the wrong Gossett brother (hahaha, sorry Kev).
After 3 years my family moved again. This time we moved about 20 minutes away to a small town where my Dad became the senior pastor. In December of my senior year in high school my best friend and I ran into Brian and Kevin. We ended up grabbing Mexican food with them. I thought Brian was so cute and was surprised that he actually seemed to be somewhat interested in our conversation. I thought maybe after I got my braces off I would look older - maybe even old enough... :) Oh the braces.
My senior year continued on without Brian. He tells me now that he was interested enough that he wanted to run into me again. There was a birthday party that I was supposed to go to. At the last minute it ended up not working out. Brian had heard I was going to be there and was secretly really excited to see me. He was bummed when I didn't come (had I known he was going to be there things might have been different, maybe not, we'll never know). Boy would he have been surprised at the Autumn minus braces and a bad hair cut. It was probably best though because I was on my way off to college.
To be continued...
14 comments:
Wow, what a hottie with a body . . . oh, you too babe. (uHum) Where did that guy go? Yes it's a good thing you weren't in my Jr. High class, that would put a whole different spin on things. I love reading the story even though I know (just about) all of it's spicy details. Love you Autumn!
What a sweet story! It's wonderful that you got to know eachother so young! Fyi, my husband grew up in Spring Valley and went to Christian High and Skyline Wesleyan. :)
oooohhh. i LOVE this story. I love hearng about how you & Brian came to be!! I look forward to part 2!!
oh, and my hubby did a semester at American University too. :) while working on the hill for Chris Cox. :)
XOXO
Jeeze....I forgot how young everyone looked back then! This is fun, not only because I get to hear parts of your story I didn't know, but also because it brings back my own memories from that time in my life. Those were some good times....I would have been lost without your family!
Cute story! And small world. We live in HR right now. We moved here a year ago. I wonder if we know any of the same people...
Cute stuff!!! And I'm thankful that I didn't attend the Sr. High youth group at my church, or my husband would have been my advisor!! Ewwwww!! :)
Looking forward to part 2.
I am so hooked! I will add this to my "must see list." Amazing Race, Hills, The Office and the story of Brian and Autumn...
I'll miss you!
Bethany
Oh Autumn - love the pics! I could post some similar ones, but I don't know if I'm as brave as you!
Looking forward to Part II!
I remember 8th grade graduation, I think we have it on tape somewhere, LOL! You were missed when we started high school without you. I never knew you had braces!
I'm excited to hear part two, I love hearing stories like this. It's so cool to hear.
Autumn I know you have alot going on and you probable missed this but stacy already has a referrel of a toddler boy. You have her listed at #11 on the list she didnt spend much time on the waitlist. Loving the story of you and Brian maybe i'll do the Renee and Sean story someday althought probable not because it isnt very long and there are no old potentially embarrasing pictures.
Oh wow, that is hilarious. It is a small world. My husband is actually the new youth pastor at the CMA church. We've been here only a year. We probably DO know some of the same people!
If the two mystery people on the girl list got referrals (which i'm assuming they did since #1 and #4 got them )and they were the same people on the boys list that are unknowns they we could actually be #3...i think i need to breath into a paperbag or something...I emailed Christy yesterday asking if it was the same people on both lists..along with a few other questions not sure if she'll answer that question but i havent heard back yet.
Yes! I know the Wells. We are not super close friends or anything but from what I know they are a great family. I love their little one Margot! I've watched her in the nursery a few times and she always sits in my lap. She is so snuggly. :) I'll have to mention you guys to them if I see them this Sunday!
You are SO BRAVE to be posting jr and sr high pics online. I would NEVER do that. But reading your story is fun! Maybe when I'm stuck in the wait I'll try it out, too.
Post a Comment