Friday, December 19, 2008

Our Story (Part 2)

If you missed Part 1, click here. Fast forward to Spring 2003. After only one semester at University of the Pacific in Stockton I moved home. During this period of lots of floundering I had finally made plans. I was going to Azusa Pacific University in the fall. I was living with my grandma and working on mending a tattered relationship with my parents. This started by having dinners with the family and eventually turned into them building on a bedroom so I could move back in.

During one of these family dinners I walked in the door and who do I see standing in the kitchen? Brian. I was shocked. All I could think about was my Mom was in big trouble for not warning me. My hair was pulled up and I was wearing scrubby clothes. Ugh. My shock and train of thought must have lasted an awkwardly long period of time because I was interrupted with my Dad saying, "Autumn, say 'Hello, Brian.'" Oops. "Hi Brian." We chatted for a while and I told him about my plans to go to APU which Brian combated in a slew of reasons why I should instead consider Point Loma. Anyway, turns out Brian was there to discuss a job offer my Dad had made him of being the youth pastor at the church and living in Alpine.

A couple days later I just had my hair done and was all dressed up for a date with a guy from high school. He bailed. So I went inappropriately dressed up to my brother's little league game with my grandma. Who is there? Brian. At least I looked good this time. We sat and talked. My grandma teased me like crazy about how she sat at just the right spot so I would have to sit by Brian but she could also have a bird's eye view. We chatted about how nice Brian was and how whoever ended up with him would be really lucky.

Brian took the job at the church and now I was going to see him at least once a week. One day I was hanging out with my brothers and they told me Brian had invited them to go to the snow (30 minute drive) and he said I could come too. They proceeded to tell me that they didn't really feel like it and were probably just going to stay home and play video games. Excuse me?? I think not. By this time I had a pretty full blown crush and I shamelessly begged and bribed my brothers to PLEASE hang out with Brian. Begged. Pathetically. They had compassion on their pathetic sister and called Brian and acted like they wanted to go and told him Autumn would be tagging along too. We all had a fun time. We dropped them off at home and Brian took me down the street to some family friends who I was house sitting for. He asked if he could come in and change into some dry clothes. I said of course but was wondering why after a 30 minute drive in wet clothes he couldn't make it the 1/4 mile back to his house. I asked him if he wanted to watch a movie. He said, "actually I need to go rearrange my furniture." Unbelievable. You have got to be kidding me. I sat down on the couch, MAD, and started watching my movie before he left. I figured he didn't even deserve me saying good bye with a STUPID turn down like that. About 15 minutes into the movie Brian was still standing behind the couch watching the movie. 30 minutes into it he sits down on the other couch. Now I am really confused and thinking maybe he is interested. We didn't say a word to one another. Geesh this guy is hard to read. At the end of the lamest movie ever (SwimFan) Brian asked me where to buy some flowers because it was his Mom's birthday and he was running late for a family dinner. YES! Now I was sure he was interested!

A couple days later I dropped the siblings off at youth group. Brian asked if I wanted to stay. I said "no." I went home and rehashed everything to Jennifer (a family friend...whose house I was staying at while my room was being built). I told her how much I liked him. She yelled at me for not staying and told me I HAD to go back to the church. So, I went back. And sat through youth group just to be around Brian. The most unbelievable part was there was another girl from the church who was even 2 years older than me doing the SAME THING. Haha, she didn't stand a chance. I wanted to invite Brian over after. I chickened out. I begged (again) one of my brothers to invite him over to watch The Bachelor. I don't remember who caved but one of them did. Brian came over and sat through The Bachelor with my family. Poor guy. I walked him out to his car to say good night. It was freezing cold outside and I didn't have a jacket. We must have said good night about 10 times but 4 hours later we were still standing outside. We talked about going back into the house. We talked about sitting in the car where it was warm. We talked about going to his house. Each time though we were afraid any sudden movement would end the moment and we would really have to say good night. Somewhere in the ballpark of 2 or 3 am I snuck into Jennifer's house to turn in for the night. I was probably mildly hypothermic from 5 hours in the freezing cold but it was all worth it.

The next day we went to my sister's waterpolo game. Brian was there and our first picture was taken, not so secretly. I was hoping he would ask me out that night but he had committed to going to a lecture with his friend Dave. Late that night I got a phone call from Brian asking me out to coffee. That night. It was already 10pm. I was housesitting for my aunt now so me sans curfew was all for it. I don't know how we had anything left to say to one another but we ended up talking for another 3 or 4 hours at Le Stats.

2 days later we went to a music festival. Brian then took me to Coronado where we walked on the beach. The wind was really blowing so I was holding my hair back from my face. Brian still argues that was me "begging" for a first kiss. Not even. But I didn't mind. We then had our first dinner date where I actually ate orange duck. I was definitely still in the "trying to impress" stage. After that we saw each other every single day and talked constantly. We were inseparable and couldn't be happier.

I didn't want to be making huge decisions about my future because of "a guy" but that is exactly what I did. No one ever spoke of Azusa again (at least until my sister went there). We all just kind of knew that now I was staying put. I never consciously made the decision to not go... I just never sent in the first payment and ignored all other letters I received.

The first time I met his extended family was at his brother Kevin's college graduation party. This was also the first time Brian referred to me as his girlfriend. We never had a defining the relationship moment so I was shocked but thrilled.
June 11, 2003 (my 19th birthday)

After 3 months we were "in love."
Summer 2003 youth group event to Magic Mountain.After 6 months we were talking scenarios of marriage and children.August 2003 beach camping trip with the youth group. Almost exactly 1 year before we would be married.We took Arabic together for a semester and this was a dinner date when we went to eat Arabic food.


After 9 months, on December 21st 2003 we were engaged. Brian proposed on the beach at Coronado very close to the place we had our first kiss.
Kevin and Lori dressed up as old people so they could capture the moment without me noticing.Our engagement was followed by a surprise (for me) engagement party. My parents were on a cruise and my Mom still holds a grudge against Brian for not waiting 1 day so they could be there too.

9 months later on August 14, 2004 Brian and I were married on Coronado.


Now four and a half years and lots of memories later, we are taking our life together to the next level...and we couldn't be happier! I love you, Brian.

10 comments:

Laurzie said...

Very sweet story! Gorgeous photos, too. :)

cb4swife said...

What a beautiful story! I love hearing all about God bringing people together. Thanks for sharing...I am still praying for you...not too long now! Love...Shannon

Erin said...

Aw, how sweet!! You have lots of great photos too.

J-momma said...

wow, we got married exactly one week before you. cute story. good luck with the adoption. i hope you can get your baby soon!

Matt and Emily said...

Great story! I love hearing stories of how God brought two people together. Praying for you over the next couple of weeks. This is the HARDEST stage of waiting.

Phronsie said...

Awww, what a wonderful story!! August is a good month to get married in, we did too, only on the 1st and in 2005.

missy said...

what a great love story!

Unknown said...

happy anniversary of being engaged! : )
Thank you for not mentioning that our attempt to actually capture the moment failed due to Brian's lack of cell phone service in the bathroom. haha, but it was still worth it.

Brian said...

LOVE YOU TOO BABE!!!

Mama Bear said...

Loved reading your story. I saw your post on Maria's blog and had to come check out some "cute" pictures of your baby boy - ADORABLE!!!